V12 engine running without ignition barrel

Good morning.

As my Girlfriend is now pregnant, I’m allowed a present, so I’m going to treat myself to a toy to save money, I’m about to purchase a 5.3L V12 engine, I’ll strip it down and completely rebuild it, replacing certain parts with billet parts I’ll machine on the works CNCs, installing braided hoses, upgrade the cooling with a davies craig water pump and large radiator and other things to help it.

For now I’ll fabricate a trolley that’ll mount from the engine mounts just to wheel it around the shop easy.

I’d like to run the engine while on the trolley, maybe just a simple push button to turn the start over etc, has anyone done this before with the ignition barrel etc? Will this be a night mare with the ECU?

I got inspiration from this:

many thanks,
Ben

You got a present for that!!! Oh, me, how times have changed !!!

Carl

2 Likes

The ultimate oxymoron :slight_smile: no offence meant Ben but welcome to the money pit of Jaguars.

1 Like

Hi Ben-
To answer you question, I don’t think there is anything magical about running on a test stand. Stuff like the engine ECU, ignition ECU (Marelli cars), ignition amps, coils, etc., needs various power, ground and input signals from sensors, so you need to know what those are, like you would on any engine.

There are different generations of the V12, and the earlier versions (e-type and some xj12 cars) had carbs and a simple electronic ignition. Kirby Palm’s “Experience in a Book” has great details on the V12s used in the XJS cars.

HE vs. non-HE heads is something to consider. non-HE are flat (no combustion chamber) and offer better flow / more performance potential, HE engines have higher compression pistons (which bumped stock HP) and have a pocketed exhaust valve (which impedes further improving flow.)

Specific to the v12’s used in the XJS, you’ll need to determine whether you care about Lucas vs. Marelli ignition, if you plan to keep factory ignition. 1989 was the changeover year. I would not make that a deciding factor, however. Look for an engine where the “expensive” stuff is in good shape, like block, manifolds, etc.

Several builders on here who know way more than me, I am sure they will chime in as well.
Bob

Welcome aboard Ben. You are indeed starting with a positive attitude.
Trev

As my Girlfriend is now pregnant, I’m allowed a present:
A present is unusual perhaps, but reasonable reward for outstanding achievement.
I think the idea is YOU buy THE LADY a present. Not a 5.3 of course.

so I’m going to treat myself to a toy to save money, I’m about to purchase a 5.3L V12 engine:
*To save money ? How ? Any car to put it in ? I think everybody on this forum would be curious about the reason.

Noit to put you off, it is a great idea and keeps another V12 alive. Plenty of 2nd hand engines around in U.S.A. and U.K, thin on the ground in other markets.
[/quote]

Wow. Hard to digest that sentence.