V12 mixing & matching Good or Bad?

Scott , if its is of any help , the main reason early rope seal crankshaft leak oil, is caused by the block oil getting hot and the main bearing saddles expanding to much and the crank wobbles around opening up the seal bore!
not much can be done without spending ,money!

a

help would be have a larger oil cooler, and of course a single piece neoprene rubber seal!
my V12 rope seal leaks bad, and with engine out spent good time installing new rope!

lasted with out any leak, for around 2000miles, then slowly started to leak, and got progressvly worse, now leaks about 1 quart in 500/800 miles, i just live with it !
ron

That’s pretty interesting for the 5.3. Any ideas to stop the seal in the 6.0 from popping out?

I guess I was wrong in thinking that it would be difficult to hold the liners straight for boring if they were outside of the block. Sounds like that isn’t much of an issue?

Not for any competent machinist, when I was a toolroom grinder I used to chase .0001” parallerity and the same for I/d or O/d

boring cylinder liners (any type) requires a fairly large engine lathe ,with good four jaw chuck, mount a liner , DIAL indicate bore till you get less than couple thou, and do the job, always being careful , use proper tooling of course, start with a junk liner, maybe from a diesel engine shop, principle the same!
also a good motorcycle shop should be able to do it, altho they maybe expensive?

you could do final hone finish(for piston to bore)clearence in most any type clamp arraingment, or put them in block and clamped down,NO movement, besure you have new pistons with you!

i have done it many times , NOW retired!
ron

A.J. some times stuff like JB weld or a GOOD Hitemp epoxy will work, just be extra sure NO oil is on surfaces to be glued! LOL.

and like mentioned some small screws around the outer perifrey can be installed!

i maybe guessing if a large diameter Neo seal is used it may be only poor installation work!

i have installed maybe close to 1000 seals without problems! 30/40 yrs!

sometimes HI case pressures can build up caused by poor case ventilation system! altho that would seem extreme?
ron

Fantastic…this is the kind of response we are looking for guys. In order to get guys experimenting in the right direction let’s share facts that work. Share your success facts please…thank you Scott