Vacuum Regulator Advance Experimenting

The spec may be set to occur at max torque but mechanical advance has physical limits and does not keep advancing. That’s why strobing (actual max) is far safer on old cars than doing static plus theoretical max (static plus centrifugal degrees). The worn advance mech may go over stock range to give too high a strobe figure. So I time for real live strobe to match manufacturer max advance (almost always low/mid 30s) and let the idle and intermediate fall where they may.

Vacuum advance is irrelevant during setup since it only kicks in at light cruise so can’t easily be read consistently or prolonged in neutral except on a rolling road I guess, and you don’t ever time for such a figure (typically mid 40s) since it’s for fuel economy only.

So after a lot of test driving, I’ve gone back to OEM brown regulator at 10 inHg, which gives me an idle timing of 20 BTDC. (16 for those who haven’t messed with their timing)

Even though the idle in P is noticeably better with green reg, the idle in D just ain’t better, even when enriching idle fuel map and raising rpm a bit higher.

Idle qualities look identical testing in the garage at different temps, but the Butt-o-meter senses a smoother idle while driving with the extra advancement. Maybe having a superenhanced ECU makes a difference for me? Maybe I’m masking some underlying issue? Maybe these V12s just rattle the crankshaft more at a less advanced timing? Maybe running a higher octane fuel runs worse with little advance?

Anyways, i still had fun messing around with this engine. Hopefully someone who needs a green reg will have more success than me.

You’re probably the expert on this issue now. Have you considered just dialling the timing up and down while the engine idles to see what happens over the full range of possibilities? Might even repeat that test a dozen times while changing the idle trim a bit for each one. Then, once you know how to get your best idle, you could figure out what vacuum regulator and other settings are needed to achieve it.

1 Like

Ha, thats a lot of work. At this point, I’m at 'if it ain’t broke, dont fix it"

Good news! A black GM Vacuum Advance Regulator came up for sale on Ebay at a decent price ($40) and I bought it.

This is a “GM Spark Delay Valve”, part 10115852, which is for 1982-85 Chevy S10 and GMC S15.

I can confirm, it holds at idle to 7.5 inHG to the distributor vacuum advance. This is the closest so far to our OEM brown one that holds idle to 10 inHg to distributor vacuum advance. So it may do for a replacement of our non-existent brown ones.

So what this means, if you’re running the OEM brown one, it’s regulating about 16 BTDC at idle. With this black one, it’s regulating about 11 BTDC at idle. Still a decent advance. For me, since I advanced my normal timing to 22BTDC@3000RPM (instead of the standard 18BTDC@3000RPM), I was getting 20BTDC at idle with the brown one, a bit too advanced for my liking at idle. Now I’m getting 15 BTDC at idle with my advancement.

The hookups are located a bit differently, and the one for vacuum (delay) is the large one instead of the one for throttle tap (carb). But I verified if you hook up to Delay, Carb, and Dist just like before, it works fine.

I’ll run this for a few days and report back. But first run, idles fine. I had to open my Idle screw 3 flats (1/2 turn) to get idle RPM back up to where I wanted it. I also noticed, when giving it some pedal, my pickup response is a bit quicker. I tested my brown valve, and the Carb hookup (throttle tap) seems a bit sluggish, or sometimes needs a lot of pressure to open. These brown Jag valves are 30+ years used. The black ones are NOS, that seem to still be out there.

FWIW, I ran the green one for a few days, but I didn’t like it. Just idled a bit funny, especially when cold. Timing was just not advanced enough, I guess.

1 Like

So here is my current chart, based on if you have your timing spot on at 18BTDC@3000RPM:

Vacuum Regulator = Timing at Idle
0 inHG = 2 BTDC (Distributor advance connected straight to throttle tap)
4 inHG = 4 BTDC (White)
5 inHG = 6 BTDC (Green)
7.5 inHG = 11 BTDC (Black)
10 inHG = 16 BTDC (Brown - OEM)

1 Like