Vacuum switch EAC-4371

I searched this site trying to find the part number for a 3.0hg substitute for the Jaguar EAC-4371 vacuum switch, that has been recently mentioned here. I couldn’t find the PN, so I did the Internet research myself. A motorcycle vacuum switch made in the USA that is rated at 3.0hg is available from J&P Cycles, P/N #370-023. These switches can be adjusted for hg, and here is an explanation as to how to do it:
http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html

There are a number of these switches available for Harley Davidson motorcycles, and they range from 3.0hg to 7.0hg depending on the part number of the switch. I ordered the 3.0hg one as a spare.

2 Likes

Wolseley, you had more success searching for info than I did! Excellent . I read everything and it seems that these switches work opposite to what we need- ie. no vacuum and switch is OPEN. Fixed with a relay. Found the adjustable part interesting, too. Dave.

Oh oh! I didn’t know that. Lucky for my car that you brought this to my attention!! So how would you wire a relay with the switch to compensate for the substitute switch working the opposite of how the Jag switch works?

Once again I find myself thanking you for your help, Dave.

Read the thread on “Parts for sale- XJS V12” which is not too far away. Kirbert describes how to straighten things out!

Just now did a vacuum test on the original EAC-4371 switch that is on my car. The circuit is closed at 0hg., and there is continuity across the switch’s 2 terminals. 2.5hg. opens the contacts and then there is no continuity across the terminals… I used a Mighty-Vac to do the test, and the questions that now must be asked is how accurate is the vac gauge on a Mighty-Vac, and how much difference to the engine does it make if a substitute vacuum switch does not function at precisely the same readings at the EAC-4371?

Sorry, the references are losing me.

Is this to replace the vacuum full-throttle switch?

Yes, and it is located on the upper rear passenger side of the engine bay. My pictures show where it is located however the wires are disconnected from it.

The readings on my car are the same as yours. I think as long as we stay richer, rather than leaner, nothing bad will happen. So switches up to 5 inches would be ok, but below 2 inches Hg and you’re pushing your luck! (IMHO) If the mixture is a bit too rich the performance will suffer, but you won’t lose any valves! (Or pistons)

Thank you again, Dave. Your point is well taken. I agree 100%. The last thing I need is valve issues and I could care less about hi-performance.

So switches
up to 5 inches would be ok, but below 2 inchesHg and you’re pushing
your luck! (IMHO)

I concur.

If the mixture is a bit too rich the performance
will suffer, but you won’t lose any valves!

Performance won’t really suffer, as at WOT the fuel enrichment is supposed
to be engaged anyway. Fuel economy will suffer and so will emissions.

– Kirbert

I have been browsing Jaguar dealer training publications for “Digital P” injection and found some useful info about this switch:
“Full load enrichment is necessary when the engine is operating under full load conditions. A signal to the ECU is provided by full load vacuum switch when manifold depression falls bellow 4in Hg and its contacts close.”
It seems that with age spring gets weaker and switching point deviates towards 2in Hg or even less. Luckily if you remove silicone from the end of the switch, there is an adjustment bolt!

DavetheLimey found a direct replacement switch and I’ve purchased and installed one. It is rated @ 4hg. It can be purchased from Summit Racing, part # SWW-77343-04. This was a very important find, as the original EAC-4371 is no longer sold. Thanks to DavetheLimey for sharing his research.

1 Like

hicant seem to sourse this part at summit any ideas ?

Search using Stewart Warner Hobbs vacuum switch SWW-77343-04.

A member of my XJS Facebook Group Richard Patterson also discovered replacment subs available as Harley Parts. — Which are also “Drag Specialties” bike parts and… look like direct rebrands of what are Standard Motor Products Parts (which are the cheapest being as low as in the high $40 range as of early 2022). So… for the archives… although some of this is documented over in another thread here:

Known part numbers & HG values:

Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0011 6"HG
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0010 5"HG
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0009 4"HG
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0007 3"HG
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0006 OEM # 26566-91
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0005 OEM # 26557-83
Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch (VOES) - 2101-0004 OEM # 26558-84

Standard Motor Products MCVOS7 = 6" HG
Standard Motor Products MCVOS6 = 5" HG
Standard Motor Products MCVOS5 = 4" HG
Standard Motor Products MCVOS4 = 3" HG
Standard Motor Products MCVOS3 = OEM # 26566-91
Standard Motor Products MCVOS2 = OEM # 26557-83
Standard Motor Products MCVOS1 = OEM # 26558-87&84

The OE Harley #s don’t give the “HG at which they activate, but perhaps a Harley Owner will eventually cross these PNs and look in the manual and tell us if one of those gets us down to the 2” of HG response range or closer to WOT/Atmospheric pressure. But with the 3" or more it just means that enrichment happens sooner.

~Paul K.

1 Like