Valve clearance check and adjust 2002 S Type 4.2 v8

Hi…70 years old and first time Jag owner…
I haven’t found a paper manual for my car and having trouble finding the information I need in the PDF download I purchased.
Just wanting to know the valve clearance specs and any tips ( maybe 4.2 S Type specific ) for checking and adjusting.
My Friend Chris Bullen from Precision Shims Australia manufactures the best shims in the world so I wont be stuck for shims.
Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

The Jaguar Vehicle Specification data dated 07/2004 that I have gives the
following valve clearances for V8 gasoline engines:

Intake 0.18 to 0.22mm
Exhaust 0.23 to 0.27mm

Eric
Shropshire, UK

http://www.aqua-mail.com

Thanks for prompt reply Eric.
The manual I purchased is from eManualOnline covers all models 1999 - 2008 over 3316 pages.
I’m finding it difficult to find what In need as the index does not correspond to the pdf page numbers.
They refer to an illusive section 303 - 01B for valve check and adjustment…still looking!
I’m originally an Essex boy and had my first time back after 55 years just last year in June ( IOM TT )
Anyway, I’m pleased to say that I once owned a brand-new 1969 Triumph Bonneville and now in advancing years I own a Jaguar…It’s old and tired but body and interior are good.
I’m hoping I can freshen up the motor and don’t find too much else to worry about…wishful thinking?
I appreciate the information you provided and will keep looking through the pdf.
I know I have a lot to learn about Jaguar.
Kind regards
Dave
Croydon, Vic, Australia

Without removing the camshafts, you will find it very difficult to measure and replace the shims in the engine. There is a special tool to depress the outer edge of the tappets so the shims can be ‘slipped-out’ from under the cam lobes.

I have used it when I worked at the dealer. It is VERY slow going and I found that removing the EXHAUST cam (even repeatedly) was faster than using the tool. It is needed for the intake as the primary chain is the deterrent for easy INTAKE cam removal.

Tool number 303-693 is listed for the 3.0 liter but I think that is the tool I used on the V8 also.

S303-03 Valve Clearance Adjustment Tool.pdf (67.5 KB)

I have never adjusted the valve lash as part of routine maintenance but I had to adjust lash on an engine because someone installed a rebuilt head without checking it prior to installation.

I personally think you are wasting your time checking the lash if no faults are present but if the heads are making noise or the the compression in the cylinders is low then checking the lash might be wise.

At least Jaguar moved the shims from UNDER the tappets (as in all L6 and V12 cylinder engines previous) to using the shims as the tappet lobe bearing surface.

I uploaded my copy of the Jaguar Engine Repair Course 168 I obtained when I went to Jaguar training a dozen years ago. It is on the internet on another Jaguar forum as well as Gus’s site, jagrepair dot com.

It is a large file so it might take a while to download.

good luck.

bob

Hi Dave,

I have the same experience with my pdf shop manual which has links in blue that don’t work. I think that the manual is supposed to be used online by the dealers and so isn’t as fully functional as it could be if you are working in a dealership.

The most useful information I have is the Electrical Guide. I bought a paper version but it is available on the net for each model year. My car came with a few electrical problems which I doubt I would have tracked down without the guide.

I think Bob has offered sound advice regarding the valve clearances. Unless you are experience some problems there isn’t a great deal of point in checking clearances routinely. Early engines like mine experienced problems with timing chain tensioners and water pumps but these had been ironed out by the time the 4.2 came along and with regular servicing these should be good for 100s of thousands of miles. In the UK its body corrosion that kills these very nice cars.

Eric

Thanks again Eric. My engine has done 330,000km (over 200,000miles) so I thought a check might be prudent. I realise that this is the most complicated engine I’ll have worked on…I’ll certainly reflect on your and Bob’s advice. I’m still in options stage and money is tight but I have thought that maybe a hone and new rings might be beneficial. (some smoke evident) I have not done any tests as yet as I’ve been too busy rearranging my garage to fit the S. I expect to have a plan of attack in the next couple of weeks.
Should keep me busy for a while!
Dave

Thanks very much Bob. I take your point.
Yes, you’ve got to love Shim Over!
I’ll check out Gus’s site.
I mentioned to Eric my concerns re high mileage and some oil burning…yet do any testing.
I’ll keep you posted.
Dave