Valve Shim Questions

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe someone else can comment if they have definitive information about whether ARP now has a bolt specifically for the XK engine.

Just called the guy would did the machine work some 2,5 years ago - he recalled it! He recalled my notes about not sinking the valves! He said some ARP bolts donā€™t fit all that perfectly on the engines that they do, so they as a matter of course, make sure they go home. Well, better torqued into the rod than leaving a gap, I guess.

I was gonna look to buy one of these ā€“ ā€“ then I realized I am fully qualified to make one myself

2 Likes

Dat dareā€™s fuuuuuuuny!!!

I checked to see if they rocked back and forth and itā€™s hard to tell if they rock honestly. How obvious should it be? I do think there is a little movement but Iā€™m not sure how I could measure it or what tolerance it should be if there is any? Since it looks like they did grind down the valve stem ends a bit Iā€™m suspicious if they ground them too low. This of course would throw off all my measured tolerances if I had to get new valvesā€¦

just so the shim rocks a little it is then not on the( edit fix of collet) corrected to COLLARā€¦ which as you say would then make adjustment impossible. It is possibleā€¦should a stem be slightly low so that the shim rests on the collart not the stemā€¦but only by a littleā€¦to carefully grind only the outer under flat edge of what was/will be the contact side of the shimā€¦all around the underā€¦thus ā€¦leaving the center of the shim untouched where it then will ride on the stem. It would take some trial and error to end up with the proper clearanceā€¦and a shim that does ā€œrockā€. This ā€œfixā€ is for an in situ headā€¦being clearance adjustedā€¦all else OKā€¦and maybe one such stem is discovered. I have had to do thisā€¦turned out with proper clearance and good result, Butā€¦if the head is offā€¦and being re-builtā€¦the proper fix is of course new valves. I am interested to hear from others on this.
Nick

The shim cannot rest on the collets because that would require no stem higher than the collets, which would probably need double thickness or thereabouts.

The issue is resting on the valve spring collar not collets. Very different item. The shim should rock obviously under the tip of a finger. If any doubt, thereā€™s a problem. If youā€™ve never tried before then it is possible to make it even more obvious by using two small screwdrivers on opposite sides near the shim edge. By pressing them alternately you should be easily able to rock the shim and watch it see-saw with the fresh unmarked side facing down on the stem.

1 Like

thanks,meant collar. Nick

I checked the exhaust side just now and 4 of the 6 can rock with varying degrees of freedom where two wonā€™t rock at all that I can tell. Does this require new valves for the non-rocking ones? I just placed an order for shims but maybe I need to take another step back or try what Nick mentioned above.