Very hot gear lever

Yesterday I drove the S-type for 20 min. Sunny day with about 25 degC.
40-55 mph.
I felt the gear lever was much hotter than normal. Really uncomfortable to stick my hand around. I know that it grts hot, but not this hot and not after 15 min…:scream:

Take the car for a spin in the evening , see if it still gets hot , may just be the sun heating it up , on my trip back from Dover Monday it was a hot sunny day , could feel the heat from the sun on my legs !

Is the lever hotter nearer the transmission? Oil level in transmission low? Though sunlight would be immediate suspect.

I removed the gear shift console years ago and applied a layer of Dynamat like material called Noico. Much thicker, less expensive and works VERY well in reducing heat everywhere in the car and on the stick shift. You may have a torn rubber boot in that area and you are also getting blow by from the engine and transmission.

Here is a link

Gerard

do you have an IR gun?

that is suggested to point at auto trans pan, if an overheat condition is suspected

obviously you have manual trans, but the principle is not dissimilar, in that that the fluid should not be too hot…or the lever

Others may be able to advise what that temp would be, and Google may help too

I cant remember my manual cars getting the lever too hot too touch…especially not in 15min

of course you have already checked the level and smell of the fluid ?

Does it knock the sound down too Gerard?

I have a magnificently rebuilt Moss box in a ‘62 car - it runs a bit warmer than ambient. Data point, just sayin’. Paul

Enormously! I have it everywhere possible in the car. It stops both heat and vibration noises. I do have Lizard Skin sprayed under the hood in both their formulas and that material is VERY good at its’ job.

Gerard