Video... Dashboard restoration

The finish achieved on new wood dashboards is astounding , but they are not for me , I think they look too modern . I have had a go at refinishing mine and am very pleased with the result .

Jim,

Couldn’t agree more about the high gloss finishes that you see on many XK dashes. Mine had lots of veneer missing when I got it. I don’t have your patience so sent it to Nick Reeves but I asked for a reduced gloss finish and that’s exactly what I got. I’m very please with how it looks.

Eric

the edges of dash centre and drawer and glovebox lid etc were painted with paint I use a colour here called Bahama brown

Jim instead of using felt in the glovebox have a go at the origonal Flocking.Some craft shops still have it.Also for inside the middle tray.Easy to do
JOHN

Thanks John
I have never come across DIY flocking before. Is the middle draw usually flocked of felt. Mine is felt and looks original.

Hi there, I did some flocking recently and found the least messy way was to put the loose flock in a large clear tub with a tight lid and place the pieces inside and give them a good shake. For the glue I mixed up a bit of acrylic green paint with the PVA glue and painted it on with a paintbrush. This way if the flocking misses a corner or such the paint colour should hide it.

The map drawer is a medium green felt.PICT0003
XK140map_drawer

I should expand on my previous comment; the flocking I did was for the two glove-boxes and also the tooltray insert on my MkV. Like the images from Rob, I used felt in the Map Drawer.

Sorry Jim don’t know the answer to that one John

I plan to get around the drawer retrim by fitting a period radio, with modern internals.

I am interested in a period looking but modern capable radio and with CD capabilities (maybe not too modern). If this is not too much of an intrusion in the string regarding this question, I would appreciate suggestions.

I bought a flocking kit from flockit.com and my glove box turned out looking great. It was very easy to apply. They are in the U.S. And I am not sure if they ship overseas but it’s worth a look.
Cliff

1 Like