VIDEO ...Engine bits & pieces

Head off to Chesman to be sorted , so a few weeks off !

JIm check the top guide where the metal has been formed into the 90 deg for any sharp lines, also make sure they are at 90 Deg.

Its called soap for the polishing mops :slight_smile:

Jim,

As usual: very interesting what you’re doing. One remark: I assume you will replace your thermostat for a proper bellows version with screen to control the bypass route. These thermostats are still out there (in particular in the UK) and you should try and find a version with an opening temperature between 68C and 74C. Original Smiths versions are becoming difficult to get but you do find the AC TF1 or TF3, the Lucas LF1 or Quinton Hazell types QT 100/70, QT 100/72 or QT 100/74. You will find them!!
Bob K.

Thanks Bob
Really useful, I thought the stat would be wrong but didn’t know the numbers.

Do these work ?

Don’t know about the sizes, but my Series 2A Land Rover ('67) uses the same skirted type of thermostat. Much better system as it controls the bypass better, but presumably more expensive to make.

Jim,

I’ve sincere doubts whether this later replacement actually works in the way the original thermostats work. See the photo of the real (Smiths) thing and look at the position of the sleeve when cold. When the bellows warm up the sleeve goes up and blocks the by-pass. I guess the replacement will not help when you want to warm-up your engine quickly, as the by-pass is always closed and therefore the total coolant flow goes through the radiator from the start. But once the engine is hot it might do the job.

Bob K.

Got one.

Congratulations, Jim.
I told you. they’re still out there. Is the top stamped 72C or just the AC type code 2663? I’ve seen both versions.
Bob K.

Jim, you even have the earlier type number 2235, which I guess is from the Sixties when AC (and others) stepped in after Smiths stopped manufacturing these thermostats…
You also see (what we believe is) the date code M7 stamped on this thermostat. We haven’t been able to break the code yet, but you’ll find this AC date code also on AC radiator pressure caps.

Bob K.