Video.. Front brakes and suspension

What’s this? Contrary opinions on the Internet? I thought there was a rule that said you can’t put stuff on the Internet if it wasn’t true. :laughing:
Ok, with the aluminum cylinders, there is honing, and then there is HOGGING. Maybe he used an 80 grit hone. I used white Scotchbrite and machine oil.
When I did mine the diameter increased about .003" and the new rubber cup skirts are about .125" oversize. You do have to put them in the right way; they don’t work all that well if you put them in backwards.

The uppers do not really have any vertical load on them, just side loading, and there is a spring inside, so you have to sort of feel if they have any wear, lumpiness, looseness, etc. Sometimes the boots are shot and the thing has got full of grit and rust, and then its obvious you need new ones.

The lowers take all the vertical loading. Sometimes a big side loading as well. :open_mouth:

The lower cap has a cup insert made of a bearing material and a little ring called a spigot that usually gets destroyed getting it out. Here is an example of Ferrobestos insert cups. You can see the wear pattern on the ball.
Being a 140 you probably have Morganite bronze cup inserts.

Put it together and you can measure the gap to estimate the number of shims you need. They come in various thicknesses.
I added grease fittings on mine.

Here’s more: