VIDEO...new dash clock alternative

1 Like

Excellent solution nicely done.

Before you all go and copy this , there is a problem .
The clock works fine until the engine runs . Perhaps there is some sort of interference from the alternator which stops it . Turn the engine off and it is still stopped . Switch the clock off and back on and it restarts . It is not really practical to isolate the clock .
Any clever people got some ideas ?
Jim

Jim,

Possible the battery connection is breaking when the car engine runs and vibrates. Can you still fit the original battery and try that?

Matt

Perhaps, but I think unlikely. It is too predictable and it will not start while the engine is running . I have ordered a spare clock so I will try grounding the case on the new one to see if it does the same.

It’s the ghost in the dash board! Smith’s clocks never worked. I’ve had lots of them over the past half century and all have broken even after the expensive rebuilds. If you are running an alternator, the 14.2 volts may be an issue. I wonder if they should use a voltage stabilizer, but I have read that low voltage also killed them. Meanwhile I have a Thwaites & Reed that’s 175 years old and keeps ticking!

After Mike Eck rebuilt both the clock in my Jag and my Rover, they kept perfect time.

2 Likes

I’ve given up on these clocks and my HMV radio too!

Cant speak to the radio, but send your clock to Mike Eck: it WILL work!

1 Like

I can verify Paul’s comment with regards to Mike Eck at Jaguar Clock. I have owned my 120 since 1963 and the clock had never worked. I took it out and had Mike sort it early last year and it has been keeping perfect time ever since and it was not what I would call an expensive repair.

Chris.

1 Like

BTW the clock in my '38 SS works for 8 days, then it stops.
It seems I have to wind it up. :laughing:

1 Like

The one I have from my ‘rents’ '35 PIII Rolls does the same thing.

Huh.

:wink:

Anybody know a clock restorer in the UK?

Jim,

Let us know how you get on. I can’t see anywhere on the net where digital quartz clocks suffer from electronic interference. A strange one.

Matt

In the UK :
CLOCKS 4 CLASSICS
www.clocks4classics.com › uploads
](https://www.clocks4classics.com/uploads/1/2/9/8/12988821/clockkitfittinginstructions__v7.pdf)

You can do it yourself or send it to him. He did my clock also, perfect.

Regards,
Teun

That is a very good point . I could eliminate the alternator by disconnecting it . I am using the setup that came with the car , so probably 30 years old . Electronic ignition is on my to do list .

Unlikely the alternator is to blame.

Edit: it must be a little wiring issue or the shaking. Tape the other movement onto the speedo and see if that fails after going through the wires, otherwise well done!