Vin 10318 is it 64 or 65

I put a deposit on a jaguar 10318 a while back didn’t get it yet title is messed up. Seller advertised it as a 1964 but he said title says 1965 . He doesn’t have the heritage certificate is it possible to still know it’s a 1964? Thanks Zane

Zane,
are you asking for an Etype info?..complete vin #'s link below

http://www.jaguar-wiring-schematics.info/Chassis%20Numbers%20Jaguar/06%20e-type_chassis_numbers.pdf

10318 would have been manufactured around Nov 18, 1964. Depending on where it was destined, it would have likely arrived at a dealership late December or even later. Almost anywhere would have titled it as a 1965 model year.

As Jcrosby wrote, what often happened back in the day was the car was titled with the year it was sold. For example, an E built late 68, but not sold until early 69, was titled as a 69. . These days Jaguar gives the Model Year designation. I have a MY2017 F type, but it was built in late 2016. U

Okay so advertised as a 64 but titled as a 65 makes sense then. Thank you Zane

If it is 1E10318 then here are some of the cars just before and after. I used to have one similar that was built in late 1965 but was titled as a 1966.

David
68 E-type FHC

Interesting 1e10322 is listed as a 1964 and some of the prior cars are listed as 1965. The one I’m purchasing doesn’t have the 1e in the number. Also they said it’s original colors but they have no heritage certificate. Is there a way to know this without knowing original owner? Thanks Zane

As others have said this might depend on when and where it was first sold. My car was built Feb 1968 but did not sell to the first real owner in California until August. If it had been built in the fall it could have been a confusing one too. In the USA back then at least with GM, Ford and Chrysler sale of 1965 model year cars normally would have begun in the fall of 1964. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s it was a big deal to go the showrooms in the fall and see the “next” model year new cars. A Heritage certificate should give you all the details. When filling out the form be sure to use all the numbers as they appear on the data plate if you are sure it is the one original to the car. My 2 cents.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

All the information in the xkedata database is entered by owners or others without verification. This, combined with the fact that titles in the US are administered by 50 different authorities with different rules and procedures makes discrepancies like this a common thing. As a rule of thumb, any car manufactured after August will be titled in the US as being from the following year, though there are exceptions, of course.

The early Series 1 4.2s had serial numbers without the “1E” prefix. The xkedata web site that you see in @D_Barnes post does not reflect that detail.

When you say “they”, are you refering to the current owner? If so, then their statement is not as definitive as a Heritage Certificate, but maybe they have a paper trail back to the original purchase - registration documents often list the color, for example. If ensuring that the current paint color is important to you, I would have the current owner buy a Heritage Certificate and show it to you as a condition of completing the sale.

My E-Type has a build date of 11-15-1966, but was not dispatched until 1-2-1967. It is titled as a 1967. Hagerty says it’s a 1966.

Jaguar cars built after August were commonly referred to as the following year cars, maybe mostly for North America but I have heard that from UK folks as well. Best hard documented case is the '68 model year, the federalized cars by USA mandate. Production of those started in August of '67. Rest of the world I’ve seen what appears to a mix of first registration and build dates. Maybe someone in the UK can explain it if the rules are the same as they were. I suspect once safety and emission mandates came into play compliance by model year was clearly defined. Previous to '68 not so much, however cars imported to California in the early to mid 60s got a model year “Jxx” prefix, confusing to the rest of the world.
pauls

The UK has it’s own “issues” in this area too. In 1963 a prefix letter was introduced to registrations that identified when the car was registered. “A” for 1963, “B” for 1964 etc. In 1967 a change was made to introduce the new letter in August, rather than January, so “E” registrations only lasted from Jan to Aug 1967. “F” was Aug 1967 to July 1968, etc. Note that this only indicated the year of registration, not of manufacture. However, since registration numbers generally “belong” to the vehicle, rather than the owner and therefore transferred with the car, they were a good indication of the age of the car.

1 Like

Thanks David, I wasn’t aware of the alpha prefixes regardless of build dates. Certainly adds to the confusion and why it has appeared to me that some were titled the year of registration. One has to wonder why they didn’t use calendar year, not that it would have sorted this issue.
pauls

From 1963 to 1966 they did. Then in 1967 they switched to a “year” starting in August. This resulted in a change in vehicle purchase patterns, with folks waiting for the new prefix letter in August so everyone knew that they had a “new” car. I’ve heard it said that this was a deliberate policy to somewhat smooth the demand for new cars across the year, when previously August was a pretty dead month for sales…

Should have suspected that money was involved, didn’t know that. Unlike American cars of that era with very recognizable changes every year. I’ve always suspected, but don’t know, that the lack of year definition was the reason why California added the Jxx prefix. Dealers selling cars as a later model year.
pauls

1 Like

I remember that 1967 reegistration suffix change at the time and suspected that was the reason. It certainly worked to sell cars, anyway.

BTW, there were no ‘model years’ for early E-Types either. Changes just happened as they came. But there are many ways to estimate the manufacture year from various marks on ancillaries and parts. The glass and the Lucas parts for instance.