Vinyl - too thick, fat (reproduction)

Thank you, Nick, I will talk to these OSJI folks before I make a decision. Do they call themselves now “Muncie Imports”?

Still OSJI far as I know.

http://www.osji.com/Index/index.php

Allowing for some semantic tussling, it appears Wilton wool is indeed available.

http://www.hirschauto.com/mobile/Carpet/departments/82/

Which vendor ? Repro calipers, why ?

Patrick
'66 fhc

Aldridge sells wool, if it’s Wilton or not, I don’t know. Not stated on their website.

The vendor no longer sells this particular caliper. The part number still exists on their site, but now lacks the “SS” on the end of the number. When I ordered them they said, “while Asian, they have had good results with them”. The particular flaw is hard to explain, as it is a 3-dimentional flaw. First off, it is a series I caliper and a rear. Best to consider the seal, rather than the piston, in order to explain the failure. The seal is a disc with a large hole. All the edges are 90 degrees and the surfaces are flat. The large flat area must seal on its flat face. The piston must have a corresponding flat surface as fluid can flow onto this surface. That surface on the piston was “wavy” with dips and waves which are clearly visible.
The car has taken so long to finish that any vendor would reject any warranty claim. Also it is my experience that the vendor is a sales organization and they frankly don’t have the mechanical knowledge (in most cases) to understand what’s going on.

Larry, so the reproduction caliper pistons were leaking; the actual caliper was ok ? Last week I removed my '66 fhc calipers and took brake pistons off and sent to White Post for repair.

Patrick
'66 fhc

By visual inspection, the cylinder portion looked OK. Stainless steel is hard to machine, so I’m not that fond of precision machined parts of this material unless the company has a bullet proof reputation - impossible to ascertain for China. The rears I had were new (sourced from one of the usuals), the fronts, which were junk, resleeved in California. Now have the 3 new rear ones which seem OK and a new iron TRW one from China. Fronts are new ISO ‘one million’ (or whatever) from SNG - they look pretty good, from merry old England.
Wish I would’ve used “White Post”. For a short time they may have had problems, according to some internet reports, but overall they’ve been in business a long time and most guys seem happy.
Keep in mind the early calipers have the seal on the piston, Jaguar changed this, but I don’t know when. As usual you must compare apples to apples, advice or experience for other series Jaguars may not be of use, or even be conter productive.

My White Post front brake pistons arrive tomorrow, they called that seal a dust protector. My Etype is '66, maybe the seal was removed on later 4.2 ?

Patrick
'66 fhc

The early ones also have an “external” seal - you should wait for some people who are familiar with the different years to give you more info. Like I said, you need specific data for your exact year and production sequence.