Violent shake when cold, on choke

Yes, $2500 for carb rebuilds is really high . Just had my 3-SUs rebuilt from Curto for les than half that… He is a legend in the business… Maybe that’s why they are running ‘Rich’. $$

1 Like

I agree it’s a real fiddle. It took me ages (like 4 hours) to get the choke for 3 SUs on my 4.2 dialed in. Replacing and/or ‘truing’ up the pivot elements helped, then just try and adjust, try and adjust, etc until all the jets dropped (almost nearly) the same amount when the choke was activated. Started with the center carb then adjusted the fore and aft linkages one at a time until the jet movements matched. That was a dozen years ago and it all still works fine. I do remove the “L” shaped operator from each carb every other year to clean it up and lube it with with a wipe of ACF 50 to ensure they don’t tarnish too much and hang up.

On the equinoxes, I lube that link, and they never get sticky.

The PrtyKty will just not run on 87. She kicks and bucks and feels like it is trying to shake the rods from the crankshaft.
LLoyd

“Abstainer” A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Writer Ambrose Bierce

I would suggest the following

Get calipers and measure as follows

1. Take off all three dashpots and pistons.

2. With choke off, check the depth of each of the three carb jets down from their bridges. Contact me offline if you need instructions on how to do this.

3. Then check the depth of the jets down from the bridge with the choke lever fully on.

Then post the measurements

Dennis
69 OTS with triple SUs

1 Like

What Dennis said!
I set the full choke “jet drop” at .200" inches by adjusting the fidgety linkages under the carbs.
So easy to do on the bench. Kinda difficult from under the car.

Yesterday at about 95°F, I realized I had the Rover’s chokes set properly, because I had to use them to start the car. Once it was running for just a minute, I was able to shut it pretty much down.

Lego,where are you located in SoCal…I just went through this and might be able to help,pete in Dana Point

Lego, if Pete will go under the car and adjust the choke linkage…let him.
Buy the beer! Just keep sliding them under the car while you measure up top.

I shake when I’m cold and being choked😱

4 Likes

Thank you all for all your replies. Its gonna take me a few days to digest each one so that I understand what everyone’s saying here. Dennis I see your point and I think thats the starting point. Pete I’m up here in Long Beach so not too far; give me some time to go through the basics first.

I’ve got multiple shop manuals but its still a foreign language to me. The melding of carb, ignition, timing etc. If the car didn’t have a good stable starting point I’d never get it back to square.

Hi,

Adjusting the “fast idle” setting is much easier than you think. If this is standard triple SU HD8 setup, it sounds like one carb would be at almost zero throttle opening at the fast idle position of the choke lever. That would produce a shaky idle, or just one carb is much more open, either or, easy to check with the air cleaner plenum off by just looking at the throttle plates with a bright light and operating the choke cable / lever. (May require an assistant unless you have really long arms. :slight_smile: )

Cheers!

You should swap out to twin zeniths
They are so much easier :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
As per recent forum chat

I know you’re joking Joey, but I have to say the H and HD SU’s are the easiest carbs I have ever worked with. One evening to rebuild all three!

And after that so easy to get in balance!
Just by ear.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’m joking
The S U set up is vitually limitless

By the way. The measurements I suggest will take maximum 10 minutes and require only a screwdriver and a set of calipers.

Do contact me if I can help in any way

Dennis
69 OTS with triple SUs

I have a UniSyn, and I think I last used it about 55 years ago… :slight_smile:

My dad taught me how to use that and showed me how to use a garden hose, and I was always as good with the hose as I was with the UniSyn, and it was easier.

I think I’ll put it on eBait…:grimacing:

1 Like

Forgot to says that the 10 minutes check of jet heights also requires an upside down cardboard box with three small holes punched with a screwdriver into it to put the dashpots and pistons on after thing them off the carbs!! The needles go into the holes in the box

Dennis

I tried the hose method but could not hear things well enough to work with it. Perhaps I worked around jets too much without ear plugs in the '80’s. I am defeated in big crowded restaurants too. I like the Unisyn since it is visual.

David
68 E-type FHC

That can be an issue! I can still hear good enough in one ear to use it.

If that ear goes…the Rover goes.

1 Like