Volvo Girling 4 Piston Calipers

Going way back in my memory there was a iron Girling 4 piston caliper fitted to Volvo’s that is a direct bolt on in place of the stock Dunlop 2 piston calipers on E types. MKII’s etc. They were for solid rotor width.

Does that ring a bell for anyone or is my memory failing me ?

Volvo 240/244 front calipers by Girling.

2 types, ventilated and non ventilated discs.

Also 2 different piston sizes; 32 and 38mm. Get the 38mm ones.

I have tried fitting the ventilated calipers to my Mk2 but I cannot find a disc to fit.

The solid/non ventilated calipers probably fit a Mk2, I think. I have them on 1 of my E types.

You do need to make some modifications.
Volvo calipers b.pdf (2.4 MB)

1 Like

Andrew, Excellent, thank you. Great info, hopefully others will take advantage of this also.

Rick

Fitting these calipers won’t necessarily give you “better” brakes.

When you compare the piston area it’s actually very close to that of the 2 1/8" stock calipers, so braking force is the same. Again, with the solid rotor you won’t really get much better heat dissipation, although you would if you could fit the vented discs.

The benefit is really only financial. I paid $50 for a set of calipers and rebuilt them myself for another $200 in parts. Rebuilding or buying new original wheel cylinders is around $1000.

1 Like

Yes, I have a set of these (that is 2 front) volvo calipers…rebuildt and ready to go…
I suppose they will sit on the shelf for 7 more years.
Mitch. 970 779 0456. Phoenix
call me if you want to do something

I decided to use the Volvo calipers on my project car for a number of reasons, not necessarily only for ‘better braking’. The calipers were cheaper for a start, then the seals are on the caliper rather than the piston, so if there’s any corrosion then you can simply buy a new piston(s). Spares are cheaper/available. I know some will disagree, but we all have our reasons and preference. :grinning:

1 Like

Andrew, Thank you for your note. My goal is to increase the pad area a bit. Does not hurt that a 4 piston caliper is quite a bit more rigid as well. Not that that is a key requirement. These calipers are for a Proteus Ctype so there is no violation of originality.

Steve, thank you for the photo. That is a great looking set up. Looks fresh, so I hope it meets your expectations when it gets on the road. There is nothing that indicates it won’t be a sizable improvement.

Andrew, Thank you for your note. My goal is to increase the pad area a bit. Does not hurt that a 4 piston caliper is quite a bit more rigid as well. Not that that is a key requirement. These calipers are for a Proteus Ctype so there is no violation of originality.

Steve and Rick,
I have a set of these volvo calipers sitting here…rebuildt and ready to go…with the exception…they have not been drilled.
So, why drill when you could Y the feed line…or to say it a different way…Y the incoming hydraulic line?..it occurred to me they have likely been drilled…under the stainless pistons or check carefully with air/hydraulics…
What has to be done to use these on a Series 2 E-type?
Specifically what rotors and pads?

Finally…I found…at least the Left available on Amazon for $79 shipped…did not find the right…

Any help specifics would be appreciated

Mitch. 970 779 0456. Phoenix

In hindsight, I wish I’d drilled my calipers, but I used the T piece (or Y piece) that you describe Mitch. At the time I did these, I hadn’t seen the PDF document or read about anyone doing the ‘drilling the calipers’ thing, so I went with the simplest option of a splitter. Who know, it may be a winter project to change to drilled, it’s certainly a neater option.

Steve,
Thank you…the pic, “says a thousand words”…
Agree…drill them
Mitch

1 Like