Vredestein sprint classic tires and colder temperatures?

I stopped posting to this thread because the posts seemed to be getting a little testy and as someone said there seemed to be a lack of hard information. However, this is an issue of importance to many of us, not because we use our cars daily in the snow, but because there is some benefit to driving the cars every few weeks year round when conditions allow. In the winter, that means in colder temps for many of us, even if the roads are bare and dry. Given all that has been said, it may be beneficial to review what we know and what we do not.

First, there is no written warning from Vredestein, either on its web sites or in written literature warning against using the tires in colder temperatures. The only information Vredestein has supplied on line is a sun symbol with the word ā€œSummerā€ underneath. Vredestein has posted a video on line showing the longer stopping distances that can be expected from summer versus winter tires, but that video does not warn that any use of summer tires in colder temperatures may cause damage to the tires. Vredestein has made no effort to warn consumers against using the Vredestein Classic in colder temperatures (other than stopping distances), and it has failed to respond to numerous inquiries on the subject. The one exception is a phone call to someone at Vredestein USA who talked to someone in Europe who confirmed an ā€œincreased chance of damageā€ if the tire is used in cold temperatures. Not exactly the type of hard information one would hope for, and though it may be in the eye of the beholder, the statement is classically ambiguous because it can be interpreted in several different ways. If there is a substantial risk of damage to the tire from use in cold temperatures, Vredestein should issue explicit written warnings and not allow misinformation, or scant information, to rule the day.

Second, in the absence of a formal warning from Vredestein, people have pointed to generic warnings about summer tires from tire retailers in the US. Perhaps these are ignored at oneā€™s peril, but it begs the question of what basis there is for them if the information did not originate with Vredestein. If it had, presumably Vredestein would have issued the warnings itself. I doubt that Tire Rack (which has a vested interest in selling winter tires) has done extensive testing to failure of the Vredestein Classic in cold temperatures.

Third, the warnings from GM and Consumer Reports refer to ā€œultra high performanceā€ summer tires such as those found on Corvettes, certain Cadillac sport models and other high performance cars. I donā€™t believe we have yet seen any information which indicates that the Classics are in this ultra high performance category. Certainly, they are not race tires or anything close. Again, Vredestein could put this issue to rest, but has not.

Finally, I have not seen any warnings which indicate that the tires could fail catastrophically. Instead, the generic warnings I have seen relate to possible cracking in the tread and or sidewalls of the tires which are susceptible to this type of damage. Nobody wants to inspect their tires and find cracks, but if there had been catastrophic failures, as there have been with Firestone tires on Ford Explorers, one would expect that there would be a record of such failures and express warnings from the manufacturer to avoid whatever condition caused the tires to fail.

One would think Vredestein would do the responsible thing and put out detailed information which would put these questions to rest. I have to admit my general skepticism is based on 50-years of driving in the snow on various radial tire brands with no problems whatsoever. But if Vredestein would like to step up and tell me otherwise, I would like to hear what they have to say. So far, they have not responded to my correspondence both to Vredestein USA and corporate headquarters in the Netherlands, nor to written inquiries others have sent, so it doesnā€™t appear to be a high priority issue for them.

4 Likes

Thank you for your meaured and thoughtful words.

certainly none of this warning re cold could possibly apply to the Vred SUMMER tires manufactured now for use on old carsā€¦no way, why would itā€¦they wouldnā€™t do that to usā€¦after all our cars are not hi performance race carsā€¦and we need tires: no doubt Vred just likes to call their tires SUMMER tires because summer is fun and warm and when we drive.
geeeeezā€¦

Well, I guess youā€™re glad you got that off your chest, eh?

3 Likes

When Iā€™ve given myself a good talking-to, I always feel betterā€¦:grimacing:

I donā€™t use Vredsā€¦I live where it is too cold. I donā€™t use ā€œSummerā€ tires on my Corvette, nor my Camaro. Why would I care what you use or believe. Iā€™d rather get it off my chestā€¦than have a steering column go thru your chestā€¦that is why. Tires failā€¦whether due to manufacturers disregarded warnings about failure or age ā€¦most often at hi speed. The Summer tiresā€¦sitting cold in a winter garage dont really care what car they are attached to.
Call me an ā€œalarmistā€. Fine.
This is currently on tire rackā€¦today, Mar 8 2021ā€¦on the Vred listing:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Grand Touring Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Nick

Youā€™ve been carrying this weight around for over two years?

4 Likes

Yes ! Thank you for your concern, fortunately with some therapy and some CBD I can sleepā€¦but thenā€¦someone shows up on the thread to say bunkā€¦or a new owner or new to forum asks about tires and others chime in about Vred SUMMER classicsā€¦and the nightmare of blown tires and head on crashes starts over againā€¦Fortunately Tire Rack and Vred both have on their web descriptions of Vred SUMMER tires, the dire warnings for all to readā€¦ā€œFlexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Grand Touring Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound crackingā€ (not what I want to have inside my tires) .but, alas, some just diddle their way as if it were not true, and my mission to inform of SUMMER tires and OLD tires resumes"ā€¦but I am lifted from the depression of the futility of informing those who will not be informed: by having this noble purpose in my life.
Nick

1 Like

Its GTJOEY with no anger :slight_smile:
I now have a 1962 Mark 2 with NEW MWS wheels and VREDS
Almost a year on them, I drive all year round minus snow or salt, 25 to 100 degrees.
I wouldnt push them in Alaska right now BUT they are fine.
My 67 ETYPE ran fine up to 2 weeks ago on the 185but now put Michelins.
The vreds ran fine BUT THE 400 dollars Michelins per tire was a big difference in grip in the winter months.
I never had side wall blow outs and Ive put close to 10,000 miles this year between the 2 with vreds summer tires.
So theres real world, 2 jags , same era, same tires on 2 different kinds of carsā€¦
I throw out tires every 4 or 5 years anywayā€¦
SO good luck.
gtjoey1314
having funā€¦

didnā€™t have lights on in that soup?

Run this past NHTSA and I bet this will change. What? You canā€™t buy a Corvette in Jan and drive it home? A dozen under inflated Firestones failed and the NHTSA gave all those gd tire pressure sensors, I think they might want to look at this.

1 Like

Pilot carā€¦ very long wait and all sensible people had their car shut down. Some even took a short walk into the woods (the old guys) while others threw snow balls.

3 Likes

A thing of beauty!

Es in da freeze!

as to the Summer tire or old tire warningsā€¦I didnā€™t say it or write itā€¦Tire mfg did. Anyone may choose to disregard completely.
Nick

Thanks for the photo, Geo! That brings back some fond memories. It was a fantastic oil leak!! Even being stranded in Yellowstone! How memorable is that!!:smiley:

1 Like

Here we are, side-by-side:

Ah yes, Yellowstone:

2 Likes

I have a similar picture at the cabins. In your picture I see you caught me in my usual placeā€¦on the deck chair with a beer!!

(upload://3Gr4AH8T30hJY5RUK0pFWAJdRV1.jpeg)

Others have commented and I have to addā€¦you are so quick with just the right photo! Amazing!! Takes me forever to find the photo Iā€™m looking for! Haha

PSā€¦I was on Michelin tires but I know a lot of others were on Vreds and I havenā€™t heard of anyone having tire problems.

Hey, what kind of guy would park his XK8 among all those E-types??

1 Like

Ill happily park the JeeType by all yā€™all!

:smirk:

1 Like

There are zoning issues Paul. :wink:

3 Likes