Vredestein Sprint Classics in Cold Weather

Like many of you I run Vredestein Sprint Classic tires on the E-Type. Someone just pointed out to me that…

…Like all summer tires, the Sprint Classic is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Seriously? I live in a part of the world with mild winters but freezing temps are not unknown and mountain climes are a part of driving in the West.

I get it that summer tires are lousy in snow and ice - but never realized that summer temperatures were also required.

That was on the Tire Rack site, Coker site makes a similar statement.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Sprint+Classic

I suppose I don’t really have a question, just an expression of surprise at a perceived limitation on a commonly used tire (tyre, tar).

Geo

I had brought up this subject a while back, these tires are not even supposed to be exposed to cold temps. Not a good choice for the BSOL as it was snowing as I left Yellowstone. My cheap Kumhos performed well in rain and snow.

Glenn
70 E

Morning Geo,
Did not know this but seldom drive the '68 in the dead of winter, guess if I have to drive an E Type to Az this winter I’ll take the '73 with the Kumhos :wink:
Cheers,
Lynn

NOt that I was in the market, but…that removes them permanently from my list of choices.

Who was the “someone” responsible for this information? Vredestein themselves?Certainly the Vreds aren’t winter traction tires. In fact, Tire Rack calls them “summer” tires. But I can’t see why winter temperatures would be a problem. In fact, I’ve driven mine in temperatures far below freezing, and had no problems.

Bob Frisby
S2 FHC (w/Vreds)
Boise, Idaho

1 Like

I’m also rather surprised by this statement on the Tire Rack and Coker’s web sites. I assume that this is at the request of the manufacturer, but given that, it’s odd that the same statement doesn’t appear on the web sites of other vendors selling the same tyre - e.g. Eurotire and XKs Unlimited. I think we all understand that the grip would be less in the cold, but irreversible damage from cold conditions is very unexpected. There has to be more to this…

-David

1 Like

I wonder if this isnt aimed more at the “see you in court” crowd?
I have a hard time thinking that merely having the tires on a car in a cold garage is going to void a warranty or render them useless. I could be wrong tho.

regardless, I will bet a frozen Vred still out performs my old Michelin X redlines. hot or cold.

or maybe they have an interest in selling those really expensive flat spot preventer ramps?

Not a high target…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A friend of mine runs VERY sticky, DOT tires on his '70 Camaro for autocrossing, and those are well documented to sustain damage if they are exposed to very low temps…even sitting in a garage.

Now, those are effectively street legal race tires, which also degrade quickly after a certain number of heat cycles. It’s surprising to hear that a pure street tire might see the same issue.

Just sent a message direct to Vredestein…will report back… Steve

New Oil Leak mantras?
“Just because you’re sweating, doesn’t mean your tires are hot”
“I’ll need a room with two beds. One for me, one for my Vreds”
“No room for spares in the boot, my tire warmers are taking up all the space”
and
“I’d like a room with an outside outlet, please.”

2 Likes

My factory run flats on the BMW include a warning not to use them below…I think…don’t quote me on the actual number but 45 degrees F.

And I believe them because when it’s quite cool out and I hit a small bump, the traction control light flicks on. this is on the high speed, high performance tire.

Did you ever hear back?
Tom

Will chase them tomorrow…the UK office was refering it to the European HQ… Steve

Just a quick update…the guy that was dealing with this is out of the office untill Monday…a message has been left for him… Steve

Thanks for following up on this.

Is there a recommended all season tire?

Hi Geo, I am now retired from rubber R&D and tech service.In general you should switch tires from summer( aka all season!! ) when the outside temps are less than 7 or 8degrees C. Winter tires have softer treads, and are better than all season tires for snow and ice. Nothing replaces driver common sense!!!

Indeed! The best all-round snow tires Ive ever used were Bridgestone Blizzaks: when I first saw them, I ws skeptical. When I used them—actually on my GFs— I was astonished!

In deep stuff, Hakkepellittas.

That said, I havent had proper snow tires on any of my cars, since 1978. I do just fine on good all-seasons, and if it’s bad enough to require snow treads? I wait a day, till it melts off!

There’s Michelins then there’s everything else!
Bridge stones are fine but the Michelin all season are around 110 dollars a tire
If you go with the 6 inch offsets
Shave the sides and they look like this…
Dead quiet best technology and on every street cornet

What process did you use to shave the sides?