Want to hear your stories!

Hello all. I’m new to the Jag forums. Seems like a very knowledgeable place and a good place to post this question. Always wanted to do a conversion using a LS engine 6 speed manual trans. I have the drivetrain and can get a great deal on a 03 Jag XK8 with a blown transmission. A perfect subject for this project. My question is, how did your conversion go? Did it take more time and money than you thought? Thinking of using one of the kits available online, any suggestions / comments on which kit? And last question. Would you do it again?
Thank you for your responses.

Since your plan is a LS engine and late model Jag XK8, you must be considering the kit from Jaguar Specialties. Andrew will give you lots of help, good advice and the proper parts list.

But, since you plan on converting to a manual trans as well, that is a lot more needed work. I have done (4) Jag Lumps but only used automatic OD trans… I have used three different manufacturers and would ONLY use Jaguar Specialties again. Getting proper pedal box for the needed clutch and adding the clutch master cylinder will be fun/expensive. Andrew has done all this himself so he can help you a LOT…

If you can do the work yourself, have the needed work area and tools… then it is doable… I would not do it again as I am now too old…but it is a lot of fun and frustration at the same time. You will see where things could have been and should have been done differently when the car and engine combos were made. I have done all the work except for the paint and upholstery and some of the electrical - have good friends who help in that area.

Driving it the first time is worth the trouble… the expense will be more than you plan by TWICE and the time to do it twice as long… there are lots of little things you will need and not find out until the last moment.

Wise words.

Except for the age thing. I was 16 years younger when I did mine. But, now at 88, beyond my abilities. I am beginning to realize that!!

Now, I’m focused on a “smoke” issue.

I surely endorse Andrew of Jaguar Specialties, but not to the exclusion of all others.

I have no direct knowledge as to a stick shift. But, my recollection is that the auto pedal box can be drilled for the clutch pedal. Fabbing a pedals seem quite doable. Even for a well equipped DIY guy.

Check the archives here for at least two listers that have doe it. Fading memory fails to bring up names. One for an LT1 and one for a DOHC 6.

Carl