Wanted late series 2 XJ manual gearbox

Ok - sounds like a reasonable clue. In which case is a 33/15 first (2.933)

I’m after the 34/14 first (3.238)

Hi,

FWIW I have had THREE KGN gearboxes, all from Euro spec LHD 4.2 XJ6’s.

One was in my ex S1 E-type 2+2, one is the original gearbox of my 1975 XJ6C #2J50041DN and one is from a ca 1970
XJ6 with an -H suffix engine, and is available witb bellhousing, clutch etc (driven ca. 5000km) and they all have a compact type ”A” Laycock De Normanville overdrive.

I can dig the numbers up a bit later.

Cheers!

Thanks Pekka
its still not 100% clear which ratios are KGN. It might have a 2.933:1 first (etype and series 1 XJ) or a 3.238:1 (series 2 XJ after 1975)

Hi,

The original one in my XJ6C (mf date Jan 23rd 1975) is #KGN5874, the one in my ex E-type (from a ca 1970 XJ6 4.2) was / is #KFN1239 and the spare I have is #KFN2299.

So it looks like I remembered wrong and the Series 1 XJ6 gearboxes are KFN and Series 2 are KGN.
I did not notice ANY difference between them when I swapped from #KFN2299 back to the original #KGN5874 after a rebuild (and the O/D having been rebuilt by ORS in Sheffield, UK.) YMMV.

Cheers!

Thanks Pekka
Irritatingly, Jan 1975 might have been before the change to the new ratio. Ive deduced it would have been May, but am far from certain

Perhaps KGN was early series 2 (and therefore much the same as KFN)

I believe the later box was KPN or maybe KBN

Hi,

This one is KPN XJ6 Data - 3A50147DN - Jaguar XJ6, XJ12 and Daimler information, articles, photos and register

(mf. date May 1975)

And this one as well: XJ6 Data - 3A5665DN - Jaguar XJ6, XJ12 and Daimler information, articles, photos and register

Those are all RHD, this later 1975 LHD coupe has KJN: XJ6 Data - 2J50785DN - Jaguar XJ6, XJ12 and Daimler information, articles, photos and register

But here’s a LHD later 1975 LHD coupe also with KPN: http://www.xj6data.com/cars/detail/?car=2J52655DN

Interesting, lets see if someone finds more info on those.

Cheers!

1 Like

NO. It is a 5 speed with a .86 to 1 or low ratio not a four speed with overdrive like the XK 150 or the like would have. There is no switch for overdrive. You shift into fifth gear.

Ah righto - thats the rover gearbox fitted to series 3 then i expect

thanks pekka

the 3.4L were certainly KPN

R

Interested in the SIII 5-spped: whatcha need for it?

Not sure. How much is it worth to you ? Make me an offer. It would be shipping from just South of Pittsburgh, PA. In the meantime I’ll see if I can find how much I paid for it.

Hard question: it has a value, which I’d not ask you to give away, but its for my hot rod, which i made from junk!

I also need a bellhousing, flywheel.

Let me know yer bottom line!

It has a bell housing on it.
$ 2,500.00

HI,

I checked the numbers again, and it looks lie the gearbox now in #1E76372BW is actually #KFN12379, so it is a much later box as I had missed one digit!

i have the top cover of if, and I think I promised it already to a fellow Jag-Lover, I just need to find it from my e-mails.

#KFN2299.is available also with bellhousing, clutch etc. but very likely shipping cost (from Finland) might be an issue.

Cheers!

Hi what would a JBN5344 be from then?
thanks

Shaun,

JBN5344 is a later all-synchro gearbox out of a 3.4 or 3.8 S-type saloon…

Roger

Hi - Any chance you still have some of those S3 XJ6 manual transmission parts?
I am almost finish my S1 XJ6 manual conversion and I’m using a S3 XJ6 gearbox. I’m missing the clutch slave cylinder cover and the gearshift stalk, boot and assembly that attaches to the top of the gearbox…

Thanks,
Chris Los
Vancouver, BC

From memory the LT77 ancillaries are different from all the 4-syncro or Moss boxes. I have a fee 4-speed sticks/knobs.

Same box was used in other Leyland brands such as Triumph and Rover so shopping for those might get you the parts.

I have a transmission but I don’t want to part it out.