Wanted: Pair carbs for XJ6 S2

Description: Seeking a pair of replacement carburetors for Jag XJ6 SII. This is a coupe, so if you have another coupe-specific parts, I’d like to hear about them.

Asking price (if selling):

Contact information: Chris

Cost of shipping (if selling):

Willing to ship worldwide?

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

Hi Chris: What exactly are you looking for? A replacement pair of the standard water choke strombergs or are you looking for the SU’s that didn’t come on US Spec cars? If you are looking for the Strombergs, what’s wrong with yours that they can’t be rebuilt? I have lots of both and am located in DC.

Hi Pro,
I was looking for the Zenith Strombergs 175CDs that came with the car but I’ve decided to have mine rebuilt. Are the SUs any better?
So my next tasks are to get the rear set upper frame, and some European bumpers, and a dash pad, and new dashboard, and… LOL.
Do you have any passenger side mirrors?
I’m in Arlington.
Chris

Hi Chris:

The SU’s would be a complete PITA to convert, that’s why I asked you. The Strombergs work great, they’re easy to rebuild, and your car probably has the automatic chokes, just make sure they set them up right and all will be fine.

Please explain what you mean by the “rear set upper frame”. Do you mean the subframe mounts? Does your entire rear subframe hang down when the car is up on a lift?

The European bumpers are out there but they’re pricey.

If you purchase a crappy wooden dash cheap and ship it out to Madera Concepts in California for a redo they do beautiful work http://www.maderaconcepts.com

I don’t have any glass for your car and it will probably be very difficult to find since they didn’t make many XJ6C / XJ12C

I know I have mirrors for your car. They’re the same as Series 3 E Type mirrors. I have all my old shop in storage units in Rockville and I know I saw them recently. I’ll look ,for them. I believe both needed the repair kit to replace the control knob that breaks off all the time. They used to sell the kit for about $18. One of my old customers with a '76 XJ6C bought a super nice pair of XJS/XJ6 power mirrors from me and put them on his car. If you have gone to any of the local Jag club shows you’ve seen his car with the MD license plates KARMA. It looks good. He also has a pair of XJS sport seats in the front.

Jack White - JagNut Jaguar Spares in Luray, Va. He does mostly Sedans - the XK’s up to and including the Series 3 XJ’s. He actually owned a few coupes over the years. He has XJ parts cars but no coupes. He’s old school and not on the Internet. 540-743-1059

For other non coupe parts you can try Master Auto Jaguar Service in Rockville, MD. 301-881-2274 Talk to either Paul or Michael (the owners). They have parts cars. These two are award winning Master Jag technicians in their '60s now - factory trained on your car - among other Jags.

There’s also Everyday XJs in North Carolina everydayxj.com David parts out a lot of XJs and I have found him to be an excellent parts source when I needed obscure parts to fix an XJ. You never know, he may have gotten a coupe.

Best Regards,

Jesse Bogan

I bought a pair of 1-3/4" SU carbs with the manifold on eBay back in October for my 74’ XJ6. I assumed they were Euro spec since the XJ6 series 2 in US mostly appear to be Strombergs.
The SU are not difficult to rebuild, in fact a lot easier than you would imagine.
If you are interested in the Strombergs I took off my 74’ let me know or rebuild ones you have.

Be careful James,

Euro spec used 2" SU carbs, not 1-3/4" which were last used on 1960s Mark 2 and S-type, and never on any model XJ…

You might want to find some 2" SUs before parting with your Strombergs…

Could have been HIF7 carbs. These are 1 3/4" and were fitted to some euro XJ6

2 Likes

Fwiw swapping hd8’s on to a series 2 xj6 manifold is relatively easy. I did it many years ago on my series 2. Bolt pattern to manifold is identical. Bolt pattern to air cleaner housing requires work and the air cleaner sits out about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so the rubber joiner is stretched a bit. There is a threaded plug in the area of the thermostat that you can remove and thread in a temperature switch for the hisser. I used one from a Ford Tempo. Hooking up the throttle linkage is pretty straight forward with the standard jag couplers and some rod fabrication. A set of heavier vacuum chamber springs corrects the running lean at mid throttle. It was a vast improvement in cold starting, gas mileage, and power over my water choke zeniths. I used mark 10 hd8’s.
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the zeniths but I found the su’s much simpler and pretty much trouble free.