Wanted: S3 XJ6 (86) A/C Evaporator

Looking for an evaporator for my XJ. I twisted the suction hose connector off of mine.Thanks

Hi Skip, welcome to the forum. If you go to your profile you can add your countries flag, this is a world wide forum and it gives listers an idea if they are able to assist. I’m in New Zealand so highly unlikely that I would be able to help.

Try David Boger at everydayxj.com.

David

Thanks, Robin, I’ll do that. Cheers.

how hard is it to get out? i have an s3 parts car

I haven’t done it yet, but my guess is it’s going to be a bitch of a job. Looks like the entire dash is coming out.

I have completely parted out three Series III XJ6s and removed every last nut, bolt, washer, and screw. The major climate control assembly with the evaporator and the heater martix is buried deeply inside the front dash. It must be one of the first items that they install on the production line. I have only removed them so I didn’t bother to keep track of the steps involved. It is definitely not something to take lightly. My guess is at least 100 hours to remove and replace it and get everything hooked up correctly. If you do this you will need to take good notes and hundreds of digital pictures.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Yes, it looks like a hell of a job to be sure. The big risk is damage to all the stuff you have to pull to get to it! It’s all 35 years old and never been disturbed. I’m not looking forward to it, but it’ll have to be done. Gotta have air.

When I worked on these cars everyday we used to charge about 12 hours labor for the EVAP core replacement.

I use ‘anti-seize’ compound on the engine bay fittings to help with damage the next time it pipes are disconnected.

ouch!
well you can have my evap for free if you come pull it. :crazy_face:

Thanks, but I think I’ll just do the one! I think having mine repaired is probably where I’ll end up. Not looking forward to the job.

I wonder why

1 Like

But if you remove virtually everything, the front dash area looks very neat and tidy. :wink:

This is a picture of the front dash area of my former 1987 XJ6 parts car just before the carcass was towed away

Paul

2 Likes

Yikes! Wow, can’t wait.

Take lots a notes.
Especially when you start to disconnect all the HVAC vacuum lines. They are many

Paul,

you can’t imagine the sadness of us salt belt XJ owners looking at such a “perfect body” and thinking “what a waste 
” to scrap it. Most us us would dream of an underbody as clean as this:-(

But of course we understand you can’t keep the steel 

Good luck and best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Jochen,
All of my SIII XJ6 parts cars were clearly at the end of their useful lives when I purchased them and my 1987 XJ6 parts car was no exception. As the three attached pictures show, not only did it sustain major front and rear end damage but it suffered from serious front and rear windshield channel rust. The bonnet, left front fender, right fuel tank, and right rear fender were all crushed from an accident and all the doors were all jammed shut because of the frame damage. This was not a “perfect body” as you stated in your post but a very badly damaged one.

Although this car was clearly at the end of its useful life, I am pleased that I was able to install its engine as well as many other parts into my other Jaguars and that dozens of parts already live on in other Jaguars around the world through my eBay and direct parts sales. Many more parts are in storage in my garage awaiting their future use or sale.

Paul

2 Likes

Sorry Paul,

certainly no offense intended! Your last pic just showed such a beautiful rust free floor pan and sills that I’d for sure lick my fingers for 
 The accident damage didn’t appear to me.

And yes, I like the idea of extending the useful life of things, even if it’s just the systematic use of functioning parts in an otherwise defunct car. Keep on that spirit!

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Decades ago, I might have been able to deal with pic’s 1 & 2. but, 3, no way!!!
Seems like oit was quite a nice car, pre smash up

Carl

Carl,
I didn’t get any records of the car’s history but it was obvious from my detailed inspections of the car that a prior owner had put some big money into it over the years. The 20 year old that I bought the car from fell asleep at the wheel and crashed it a couple of months after buying it. He didn’t have insurance and so except for what I paid him it was a total loss for him. I was generous with my offer to help him out and that nicely running engine transplanted nicely into my former 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas which allowed me to sell it at a decent price. It was a Win-Win from my perspective.

Paul