Wanted to Buy. 1963 MK10 3.8 Litre Motor

Good evening to all of the Jag Lovers. I have a 1963 MK10 with an engine that will not turn over. Last driven in 2008 I noticed an oil leak after parking the car. I assumed this was the main seal.
During the 10 year lay off from the MK10 my interests were redirected towards my TR-3A, TR-250 and my Lotus Europa. Being interested in possibly selling the MK10 I was unable to get the engine to turn over. I have over $20,000.00 invested in the car.
Does anyone have a clue as to what may be wrong with the engine. Better yet, does anyone know where I may locate a good 3.8 Motor for my Jag…Any help help would be much appreciated in advance…
My name is David Jones. My e-mail is frytagjones08@yahoo.com and my cell # is (574) 209-0749…
Kind regards, David

If it turned when parked, it sounds like the pistons have frozen up, from rust.

You can try the diesel/ATF in the bores, soaking trick, and see if you can gently turn the engine, by means of a long bar, with a socket on the front bolt. Sometimes, a few weeks will get it loose.

But, that’s a bit of a Pyrric victory, because, you’d still likely have to rebuild the engine.

Post some pictures of the beast and note the work that was done. Surely someone on this list wants a MK10

GerardweddingCars1

make sure it truely wont turn over with socket on crank,
then try solvent in bores

imo good 3.8 are scarce now, and the DG250trans may be unwell too

It would be possible to insert a XJ 4.2 engine with BW12 trans, although they are also getting less common.

most old engines need a rebuild

occassionally I see 3.8 on Ebay

a rusty MK10 with a trashed interior would be another way…if the engine is ok

I got very lucky accquiring a quality rebuilt engine for my 420G for $300…but I did have to go thru an ordeal to get it, including serious grief from the Mrs, who did not see the need for yet another engine…prompting me to inquire what the fk she thought she knew about motors

Good day to you,

I thank you for your wealth of knowledge regarding the MK10. I have just sold the car as is to an individual in the U.K. He has both an engine and transmission for the car. Not a great deal for me but I am taking some solace in knowing the Jag will return to its rightful origin…Thanks once again…

Kind regards, David

awg
tony

December 9

Jonezer:
Good evening to all of the Jag Lovers. I have a 1963 MK10 with an engine that will not turn over. Last driven in 2008 I noticed an oil leak after parking the car. I assumed this was the main seal.

During the 10 year lay off from the MK10 my interests were redirected towards my TR-3A, TR-250 and my Lotus Europa. Being interested in possibly selling the MK10 I was unable to get the engine to turn over. I have over $20,000.00 invested in the car.

Does anyone have a clue as to what may be wrong with the engine. Better yet, does anyone know where I may locate a good 3.8 Motor for my Jag

make sure it truely wont turn over with socket on crank,

then try solvent in bores

imo good 3.8 are scarce now, and the DG250trans may be unwell too

It would be possible to insert a XJ 4.2 engine with BW12 trans, although they are also getting less common.

most old engines need a rebuild

occassionally I see 3.8 on Ebay

a rusty MK10 with a trashed interior would be another way…if the engine is ok

I got very lucky accquiring a quality rebuilt engine for my 420G for $300…but I did have to go thru an ordeal to get it, including serious grief from the Mrs, who did not see the need for yet another engine…prompting me to inquire what the fk she thought she knew about motors

Where did YOU sleep, that night???

I hear the back seat of a MK10 is quite spacious and comfortable.

:yum:

1 Like

And in breaking news a man was admitted to hospital with a conrod inserted in his ass. Details at 6…

1 Like

…BAAAAAAAAAhahaha!!!

the back seat of my 420G is sufficiently spacious that a lady of average height can lay down in the back, fully stretched out. It wont fit a 6 footer though.

Gentlemen, sometimes it is necessary to ask a bold question, when under the pump

to the best of my recollection, upon being unable to be provided a proper factual answer, I was instead subjected to vile personal & character attacks

1 Like