Water in oil ? Head gasket?

Hi I’m new to owning a xjs but not new to owning a classic car
I’ve had the engine and box pulled out to do work inside the engine bay as the oil was drained it was quite a light brownish colour which what I presume goblets of water in there as well
The engine has run fine with no issues no over heating or water loss the previous owner changed the oil 12 month ago and said the old oil was fine
I’ve only drove the car for a month before taking her off the road to carry out restoration works 73000 on the clock genuine miles any advice would help

Maybe the water is just from condensation

Year? V12 or I6?

If no loss of coolant over the period of your ownership and if no oil in the coolant, then, mixing both liquids due to a failed head gasket seems unlikely.

But, since you have the car out of commission, before you put the engine back in the body, due diligence is a must – at the minimum a leak down test will show you how deep into the engine you need to go.

Good luck and welcome!

Hi

It’s a v12 1985

Kind regards

Carl Fretwell

COMPLETE COOLING SERVICES LTD

Mobile 07966349550

Hi

See attached

Kind regards

Carl Fretwell

Mobile 07966349550

That looks bad to me. Good luck.

1 Like

It does look very bad. If indeed it is coolant and oil mixed, it is hard to imagine that there would not hav been any coolant loss over the period of that month the car was driven.

Yes I would have to say coolant in the oil. I had a 97 Buick century that the lower intake manifold seals went bad in, and it was the same way. I didn’t notice much coolant loss at all, but and however, it was enough. Not sure how the 12 is set up, but it could be a small leak somewhere else too. I agree with the leak down test

This is a long shot, on my 94, I pulled the injector rail for a leak, since I could get to the head bolts I put a torque wrench on them and several moved/tightened and I think that how they start going bad. So you might try the leak down test before and after torqueing them see if a low cylinder goes back up. If that helps then you have to decide on holding off on pulling the heads.
I have 225,000 miles on a 94 and no head gasket problems (yet!).

Thanks for the heads up very useful info

Kind regards

Carl Fretwell

Mobile 07966349550

Agree with Kirby. Don’t look good !!

But, odd that the water is on top. Perhaps the water/glycol coolant acts differently.

Decades ago, a gasket blew 'big time" in my 55 Dodge powered by a polyspheiric V8. OP
went to zero on the freeway at 60 + !!

Coasted off to a handy service station. Checked oil level. Way to much, On to the lift. Drained the sump. First gush pure water !!! Then stuff akin to the pictures here. No globules recalled. May have been there.

5 qts of 40 and went directly home!!! Boss was with me. I would’ve dropped him off at his place. His wife came and got him.

Engine tear down began that week end…
One side. Clearly blown gasket…

Carl