Water not running

Hi friends… syntoms.

How to know if the water pump is good…

I left the car on and removed the radiator cover and I can’t see that the water is circulating…in fact I removed the thermostat so that the water could flow freely…but to no avail…I removed the pump to see if the propeller is stuck or something…but it spins freely…is that how it should be?? or it must have some resistance… here is a picture.

If the impeller and the flange on the other end of the spindle turn together then the mechanical operation is OK, however that looks like its quite rusty, what’s the history of the engine?

20 years on the parked on the garage out off road…I’m going step by step preparing it for the road…and replacing parts that are needed…

The filler neck is offset from the header tank so you cannot see any movement except for a bit of light surging occasionally.

[quote=“Peter_Lloyd, post:4, topic:445737, full:true”]
The filler neck is offset from the header tank so you cannot see any movement except for a bit of light surging occasionally.
[/quote

Thats right

Thats right

Since you have the old one removed, it would be prudent to go ahead and purchase a new one and a gasket. Use sealant sparingly and torque to specification.

Your next best move would be electronic ignition and Magnecor spark plug wires.

Peter…question:…Even though the radiator has a displaced neck… should I still look at the movement of the water produced by the pump? or not necessarily…in fact I removed the thermostat to see the movement of the water, but no movement remains stable…in the meantime I’m going to order a new pump…:man_shrugging:

Thanks

question:…Even though the radiator has a displaced neck… should I still look at the movement of the water produced by the pump? or not necessarily…in fact I removed the thermostat to see the movement of the water, but no movement remains stable…in the meantime I’m going to order a new pump…:man_shrugging:

Thanks
[/quote]

Just FYI, you do not need to reply to individual posters in seperate posts, you can mention all in the same message and if you want to draw attention to a certain poster then just do this; @Rgbrt_Mna

1 Like

Based on the amount of rust on the impeller of your pump the block would also be a bit rusted. I put CLR in my truck to clear the rust from the block. Pour in two containers of CLR and water to fill . Run the engine till hot several times. Drain the CLR mixture and fill with water run it and drain it as necessary till the water runs out clear.

ok…let me get a gallon of CLR and wash the system…question: this CLR IS SAFE for engine gasket (headblock)??

thanks…

Using CLR sounds good. Would this remove a lot of sand from the block as they were sand casted?