Water passages in timing cover

Greetings,
What is the purpose of the bypass channels leading from the “B” bank water flow after passing the pump? ( outline in red). The direction “bump” in the upper right might direct more of the flow back towards the bypass channel? (green circle). I was just wondering if either or both would contribute to diminished flow on the “B” bank. Excuse the artwork.

I don’t even recognize the “bump” in the green circle. My recollection is that my timing cover looked sorta like an inverted version of the A bank in this area.

About the bypass channel: It’s from the high-pressure area of the B bank passage to the high-pressure area of the A bank passage, so presumably it wouldn’t flow much. It might even be an attempt to equalize supply to the two banks. Just a guess.

I would guess the bump in green highlight is simply to accommodate the drilling coming in from the side above steering pump bracket

Bump in green is definitely clearance for a threaded stud that enters from the right of the picture.

I always assumed the small channels were to help prevent cavitation or equalise pressure somehow. But can’t say for sure. I have observed a “water line” in this area when an engine has been sitting for a while, so perhaps it allows the water in the engine to drain back to equal levels in both banks.