Water pump explosion!

With your and Others user explanations will find soon best solution!

thank you for reply to “hipotesis” will be my way to bring car on the road.

Now some Private message with Dick and soon will write what plan to do here

Fred

car 2.8/'69 engine is a early 69 production about 03-04 '69.

thank you for reply , asking Dick about new water pump , parts+sleeve you wrote ,
however in my eyes substitute clutch gived to me was well fixed to pulley…:exploding_head::exploding_head:

i Will write here next work steps.

Thank’you all for now!

If you have a '69, you should also have a S1 water pump and Viscous Torqutrol unit

There was a recent thread that shows replacement Dayco VC for S1

lister Paul Breen stated the correct parts numbers for his S1

(they will not fit in my 420G, the later VC poke forward by about 20mm, and I think they need longer studs…(you can back the studs out of the water pump and fir longer ones)

You appear to have a non-original water pump, altho I am not sure.
In my opinion, you may be better off buying a correct S1 water pump and
replacement Dayco Viscous clutch (if yours is failed)

FYI…my S1 XJ is long sold. As far as I know, S1 owners use S2/3 VC, as the S1 unit is NLA

420G have the same parts, but the radiator is closer, so us boys really have an issue…I have several “rescued” S1 XJ Viscous clutches)

before buying any replacement water pump, check all pipes are going to the right place

Other great contribute!

leaved Burgess pump alone(with Greater bearing) and used original pump for my car.

nbc2215aa viscous instead of original NLA viscous , unfortunately is more longer with more weight , however founded much S1 with this new viscous.

I would ask , old viscous can be refurbished ?

It is technically possible, but finding someone to do it might be very difficult

Have you ascertained that it is worn out ?

I would advise you to PM @Breen60 as he recently posted about replacement clutches for his S1 XJ

full oil next shift… without screw i can open working on ring but don’t think can close again with same metal ring.

Tony, the old and new viscous have different work system ?

breen60 used dayco 115765 here size but no info on weight:

Thank’you ALL!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAYCO-115765-FAN-CLUTCH-DAIMLER-SOVEREIGN-SERIES-3-JAGUAR-XJ4-2-COUPE-XJ6-/301963169902

gives dimensions hat height 70mm

seems like you have been having problems for a fair while, unsure why

It seems you have a '69 S1 fitted with a later water pump

It seems to have been fitted with a S1 viscous clutch, and for some reason you have purchased a later XJ fan clutch, which is a very tight fit in an early XJ…(early VC are not available)

Yes, they have a different system of working…no spring in the early versions
Is yours failed?..or did you just buy new parts thinking that would be a good idea?

I think you will find it impossible to have overhauled…I do have information on testing and repairing them

I do not know why you had the WP failure, except that “kit”, which includes a sleeve is needed to adapt an late VC to an early water pump…but according to Dick M, you have a S3 WP

You need to measure carefully the space between radiator and water pump flange to ensure the
Dayco unit will fit…says 70mm hat height

To resolve the multiple issues you have, it seems that if you fitted a S1 water pump, stated Dayco VC, you would have a workable situation

Sorry Gents, late to the thread. Here is a picture (I hope) of the Dayco Viscous fitted to our '72 XJ6. As Tony says it is close to the radiator, but two years now and no issues. It cost about $160AUD.

I will search the archives for the part number - which I listed some time ago.
This viscous has the “thermal switch” - not just the “slip system” used by Jaguar. Works well with air conditioning - no overheating and no auxiliary electric fan. Paul

Here it is. It’s from eBay Australia - but details the product including the part number. Paul

Also, considering the weight - the Dayco unit is marginally heavier than the original Torquatrol unit. Given the heavy steel fan and the weight of rest of the rotating assembly - It’s a small increase - that I didn’t worry about for my 1500 miles per year. Paul

You also have to source the fluid used in the clutch, Fred - a very specific viscosity is required…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Eutrope (UK/NZ)