Water Pump Squeak

I haven’t had any issues with it, call me an idiot, but I don’t care about the powdery side of it as long as it creates a barrier between the dissimilar metals preventing the interaction that caused it to corrode together.

I’m electro plating all of the bolts with nickel so far on my IRS rebuild. Word of caution, plating builds up and changes the diameter. This is a problem with the threads, so the bolts I’ve done so far I’ve had to run a thread restorer tap/die over the threads to take off some of the plating so the bolts can be threaded.

Hmmm… Note to Self… The next batch, I don’t think I’ll plate the threads, just the shank & heads. Then again, I could be completely wasting my time. I’ve got a video I’m putting together that covers this. If anyone cares.

Although nickel plating looks nice, it does not protect from rust unless you plate a copper base first. That is why most of the suspension components were either cadmium plated. Nuts and bolts zinc plated. As long as you do not wash the car or drive it in the rain, you should be fine with the nickel plating.

Hmmm. I wondered about that. Thank you for the heads up. I do have a copper solution. I could…

Screw it! I’ll just paint them…

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Before that Soviet SST disaster, P&WA had screws that were silver plated. This had nothing to do with corrosion protection, as all of the screws used on jet engines were either stainless steel, titanium, or Waspaloy – none of which are prone to corrosion. The silver plating was to serve as an anti-seize coating.

BTW, the deal on the Soviet SST was the first stage compressor blades which are big long things. They are attached to a hub by the blade root being slid into a groove. The titanium blade roots were given a really thick silver plating. The idea was that the blades would be forced into the grooves, shearing some of the silver plating off and creating a really snug fit. Unfortunately, at high temperatures (which an SST sees), the silver caused the titanium to react with trace amounts of chlorine in the upper atmosphere. That caused the titanium to be brittle, and blades started just snapping off on the way home from the Paris Air Show.