Water temperature gauge reading low

Just coming into the final phase of my 140 fixed head restoration and the water temperature gauge is reading low. Oddly, I’m pretty sure is was OK before removing it. Dropping the bulb into a beaker of water at 80C reads 55C on the gauge. Am I correct in thinking that nothing can be done to correct this apart from sending it off to some expert repair company. Not a job I’m looking forward too as the dash board and trim are all now fully fitted.

The needle has slipped. Remove the glass by twisting, and gently pry off the needle with some sort of 2-pronged tool like a tiny crowbar at the hub. Reposition the needle at a known bulb temperature and push it on firmly.

Or, it’s just not behaving properly inside the unit. It’s a small bit of wizzardry with pipes and stuff and gears… A gear may be worn.

Thank you Gents; I suspect your most likely correct Rob. I did have it apart to clean the glass and face so perhaps I caught the needle. What does seem odd is that it would be difficult to move it backwards because of the end stop but easy to move it forward, which would make it read hotter rather than colder. In any event it will have to wait until I have good reason to pull the dash apart again, and in the meantime I’ll just add 25 to the reading.