Waterless coolant

There is quite a bit in the archives about Evan’s waterless coolant,
https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/
and you can watch Jay Leno’s endorsement here if you want:

Most of the commentary here has been speculative, and it has been a few years since anyone has posted actual experience with it. I’m curious as to whether anyone has found it to be a worthwhile product in Jag dohc engines. I’ve read the postings about flammability which I don’t find particularly concerning - surprisingly, all coolant will burn in the right circumstances. The waterless sounds appealing for corrosion control in our non-daily drivers, and reduced maintenance over time. Any real-world experience with the product out there now? Thanks

Less cooling capacity and also more expensive, but I still like the idea - no head stud corrosion? A dream, I guess… and it‘ll work forever, I‘d say. If my engine was rebuilt, brilliant IMHO.

I just removed it from my rebuilt 4.2 and went back to regular coolant.

My shop swears by it so my new engine came home with Evans. I couldn’t get it to stop leaking from hoses no matter how much I retightened. It was really expensive to keep refilling, and hard to clean up because it doesn’t evaporate and is very slimey. Then one day driving down the highway engine started to overheat… long story… (maybe an air bubble or pressure overload? thermo forced closed? not sure).

Ended up flushing the system with Royal Flush, refilling with water and coolant, and now not only does it run cooler, no more leaks and cheap to refill.

Just my experience… but I probably wouldn’t use it again.

I’m not aware of any OEM that uses this stuff. That pretty much tells me all I need to know about how much of an improvement it is. Usually any worthwhile technological advance is utilized by OEMs, even if it’s very expensive (like gold foil insulation on a McLaren.)

My understanding is that Evans is particularly useful for non-pressurized water cooled systems. So if I had a pre-WWII car, it might be something I would consider.

Dave

Thanks. This is the kind of information I’m looking for, and I’d love to hear more from others who have tried it like you. Interesting that your shop is keen on it.

I’ve never used it, but I’m suspect of “lifetime” anythings. Modern antifreeze used in the proper proportion to water is quite effective at cooling and guarding against corrosion. And it’s less expensive and readily available.

Hi, I tried it many years ago. Don`t bother, yes the lack of corrosion is a plus, but it has many negatives. Firstly ,it is more viscous and does not exchange heat very well with a stock radiator, so, the car runs warmer. Secondly to use this you must change your radiator to a larger tubed aluminum radiator and remove the thermostat, this I found out after converting two E types and found them running hot, wish the company had stated so after calling them with the issues. Thirdly, it is flammable!
Regards,
Allen

Thanks for the feedback. I’m ready to put coolant in my souped-up 120 engine for the first time, and was just considering whether there is something better. Like most people, I don’t actually get around to flushing and changing coolant as often as every two years in my multiple xk powered vehicles. However, sounds like I should stick to the green stuff for now, regardless of what Jay says.

1 Like