Waterpump XK or XJ different?Why?

Problem with the lining of the waterpump on my sold XJ 6 engine.
Did not know that they made different measurements on the XK and later the XJ, maybe there was the damper how made this problem, because it was thicker.
So I have to back to the seller to change that with a smaller one.
Is there any comment on that?

Early and later XJ6 water pump mounting points are the same , the XJ6 has a bigger impela , so the design of the plate the pump bolts too is a little diffrent !

When you say…

Do you mean a smaller pulley? As noted, later pumps (including Series 2 E-Type) had larger impellers.

Are you referring to the cover plate or did you possibly mean ‘aligning’?

1 Like

Frank, Jaguar made hundreds, if not thousands of changes to the XK engine and it’s ancillaries over the 50 odd years of it’s production. Even crankshafts were not immune from this even though the dimensions and positioning of the journals were the same. It can be maddening to work with - the part looks like the old one but just doesn’t quite fit, or if it does fit something else is wrong. There were a variety of front chain covers (which hold the water pump), with modified scrolls for the pump, even changes to the shape of the hole on the right side where the water went into the block. Water pumps changed in virtually all respects. The pump for the later XJ6’s was quite a bit thicker than the early ones to accommodate a thicker impeller needed to push more water. Some of those pumps will work on an older chain cover but may interfere with the front picture frame in an E Type when you try to install or remove it while in the car. As I said it can be maddening.

1 Like

But, with some engineering you can make an xj6 water pump fit and clear the picture frame…
Of course, modifications are made…as time goes problems come up and are solved and improvements made…
Improvements made…that is why the last iterations of the xk engine (used in the xj6) is the best most powerful…and originality…only if inferior wanted…to each there own
Mitch

Hay Geo, I want to change it for a smaller waterpump, but maybe better change the pulley on the waterpump.
The lining is a aligning with the damper beneath it, it sticks out to much, but the engine is XJ and the pump I don’t know, laying around, powercoated it and looking fine.
Thanks for the comment.

Hi Terry, thank you for your explanation, yes thicker waterpump was used later with the bigger impeller, but the engine is a XJ, never change the front plate, so I am a little puzzled.
I did changed the engine in the XJ6 and the waterpump failed, was leaking, so when home to catch the waterpump from the other engine that was broken.
Later I restore this engine, missing the original pump, so I used a other pump, looking the same, powercoated it and was nice.
So use XJ engine and a thicker pump, it must had been good.
So it isn’t, hahaha.

Frank you may need to match the engine serial number with the water pump part number, through a parts manual - or perhaps have a look at SNG site for a catalogue for your car, or better yet phone them.

Thank you Terry, yes I will investigate it. Having three waterpumps, now. The impeller is bigger and the housing also.
Think it is maybe the pulley, the construction of the bearing inside was different, it had a bronc bearing and not a roller bearing, when I dismantled it, I remember. So maybe I can put it back one centimeter. Frank.

Frank , the engine you have sold, is it to be fitted in a XK 120/40 or 50.
The pump you dismantled with a “bronc” bearing ! do you mean bronze?
Peter B.

Hi, Peter, yes, sorry, it’s bronze. The engine is for a Mark 2.
Is it better to change it for a smaller pump?
Frank.

OK Frank now we can get some sense of the problem. First of all , is the engine for the MK2 the engine shown in your photos?

Yes Peter, the green engine is for a Mk2. Doesn’t it fit in that car?
The guy has an mixed project, I believe, he bought a project Daimler, that was a Jaguar by Heritage, so he wants to change the Daimler engine V6.
Thank you for thinking with me.
Frank.

Frank, several features with the green engine not ideal for a MK2,
Inlet manifold
Oil filter
Engine mounts to name three, but these can be changed to more suitable items.
It will be instructive for you to
visit / revisit Ian’s post re the fitting of this type 3.4 XJ engine in his 340 / MK 2. , perhaps Ian will inform the thread titles
Is the pump alignment problem with the
V in each pulley or the protrusion of the pump pulley?
Peter B

Peter, I tried to change the inlet manifold for a Mk2, but it didn’t fit, the head was really different.
The oil filter, there was a guy in the UK who changed it’s original Mk2 filter for a XJ filter, when I was interested in his original oil filter, so I left it alone.
The engine mounts can be put on later, there are thread hole’s for it, the same as the e type.
The alignment in the V is the protrusion of the pump pulley, maybe I can put it back a little.
Frank.

hopefully the car that is receiving that engine is not RHD, as there is a very significant
probability the side mounted XJ oil filter wont clear the steering column

I found an XJ water pump shaft protrudes further out than earlier models, disallowing its fitment

Above info is relating to placing a XJ engine in a MKX or 420G, I cant speak to MK2, but you would be lucky, especially with the oil filter

Noting that I count 5 freeze plugs on the side of the block, I believe that indicates that this is a later 4.2L (head studs extend through the deck into the water jacket). So that is most probably a straight port head, so no Mk2 manifold will interchange. So the fundamental question is what is required to make a S3 XJ6 4.2 fit in a Mk2?

Well concerning the manifold , ideally a 420 manifold is the way to go, if you stick with 1 3/4 carbs then. a 340 manifold. Using a 2.8 manifold if you are prepared to forgo a bypass connection, also requires some machining to fit a thermostat.
Peter B.

The XJ filter fitted to a MK2 is probably this one Frank,
with the vertical spin on. The other is late MK2 S Type
or 420.
Peter B

2 Likes

Nicely-constructed bypass hose! AN stuff rules!

1 Like