Weekend work - Pulling an IRS

As the millennial say, “that’s Baller”

does the sway bar need to be installed on the unit like that? Could it be installed on the car body angled up out of the way? Can it be put on later separately?

I think I took it off first on the way “out”

Oh heck, those things are supposed to come out the top? Does it fit back in the car?

I was trying to get a Rob Beere set up but they don’t answer their e mails?

You are going to rebuild the whole thing anyway so if the big end trailing arm bushings don’t come right off get a big gear puller, put tension on it, walk away and have a tea with Mr. Balls and in 30 min you will hear a clunk as the rubber tears away freeing the arm.

Much easier to remove the remnant inner remains on the car then after you take out the cradle. Air hammer with a blunt tip…I don’t think it hit it no more than 4 times before it went skating across the floor. Repeat for side two. Tea optional.

I used the same kit but routed mine to the rear side so I could bleed more easily with the car on all-fours:

It fits fine Bill. The lines are really just braided brake hoses which flex. There is easily 5-10cm or so between the top of the cage and the floor of the car. I took the bleed screws out of the top of the calipers and screw the hose into each. The hose then travels up, over, and down to mounts on the bottom of the cage. The bleed screws are then attached at that end where they can be easily accessed from under the car.
You could do it all with steel brake lines if you wanted. I’ve seen race Etypes with the bleeders coming out under the sills just in front of the rear wheels so they can bleed the brakes in the pits without ever jacking up the car.

The trailing arms popped off easily enough. The only thing that I had to fight was the bolts to the driveshaft. All in all a fairly easy task. ~2 hours. The Harbor Freight low transmission jack helped immensely in lowering it in a controlled manner. Raising it??? Probably not such a good investment.

The IRS will be reworked in time. Now the body is on a roll around dolly and will be pushed off top the side whilst other things are attended to over the winter.

I found it easy to lower that jack by hand - to raise it I used an electric impact wrench (since it has only modest torque).

More updates…

Here is the beastie. Not a lot of grease, just dirt and rust. Nothing that I cannot handle. :wink:

they must never have had oil in the car. :wink:

It suuure looks too clean…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mine was liberally coated in oil from the front crank seal, rear crank seal, diff and probably some brake fluid as well. Huge amounts of gravel and sand (likely from its longtime home in Boulder) were lodged above the tie plate and a nice coating of mostly red dirt covering the rest was thrown in as well. Oh, and plenty of grease seeping from the hub bearing seals and IRS lubrication points.

power washer? Looks like a good sneeze would clean that off.

I used a putty knife on mine. The stuff was only slightly less stubborn than undercoat.

1 Like