Weird issue, car runs worse over time

Did the car run normally with this coil, in the original location previously?

If yes, then it’s probably an indication that your coil has started to breakdown internally.

It’s never a bad idea to have a spare coil.

1 Like

At the price I would buy a new one , with a Sports coil you can open the spark plug gap up to 30 !

The car runs wonderfully just degrades over time, though with the relocated coil it’s seemed to be solved, This coil is a few years old… It’s a Petronix Flamethrower 1. I have modern wiring, alternator, and 123 ignition, what is the best hi-po coil for this system?

I have one of those coils and it works well. Could you wrap it with heat reflective tape and see if that helps even more? Call Pertroninx and see if they will honor a life time guarantee as you are on a worldwide forum and the positive adverting from such a good deed would do them wonders! A spare coil is indeed a good idea. I actually have a spare petronix dizzy just in case.

Gerard

And on a naturally-aspirated engine, nothing much improves.

OK ran another experiment today. I moved the coil away from the motor to the side wall and it was slightly better but still having rough idle after a few minutes of running. I tried opening up the gas cap and no difference. So I took drastic measures…

Found that the idle was rock solid the entire drive and didn’t lose any power even after 45+ minutes of hard driving and stop and go. So it doesn’t seem to be fuel or mixture, but I’m leaning towards heat soak in the electronics. After the drive, the coil was still extremely hot despite being open to the air. How hot is too hot? Should I replace it? Before I do, should I do new low resistance wires also?