Welcome to hell(long w/ photos) Series 1 xj6 core plugs corrosion head studs

Demian,

I too was mystified…I have a life long Nevada (Vegas) 2+2 E Type that is stunningly pristine…Original spare, wire harness, no rust… seems head has been off…
I had to replace the crank…that means taking apart the motor…While it was no where near as bad as yours…still pulling the core plugs…I found…sand and grit and gooy green stuff. What gives?
I have 8 of these 4.2’s in storage (I know like a salvage yard) and when I get a chance I am going to pull some core plugs and see what’s up. All but one of these 4.2’s I sourced from the desert South West. I will post a report with what I find.
As you can surmise…I have a bunch of xj6 stuff…have an add on Craigslist Phoenix…not one call in 2 years

2 Likes

WoW …extraordinary “salvage yard”.
Never ceases to amaze hearing others stories here, etc.
I mean I thought I was crazy…it’s comforting AND humbling the experience many possess :slight_smile:

Love to hear what you find.
I for one would be very curious and fascinated to see.
People speak of this yet I’ve never come across images before.

Please do post whenever you do that, time is irrelevant as it always helps future searchers.

I suppose then from what I surmise from all the responses, if I can figure this out it means anyone can do it as my situation is best at being worst ever seen…

Thanks for taking time.
Kind regards

For gawd’s sake, do NOT exceed 20 mph with those!!

my induction heater…

hook up the arc welder, dial it up
bend a short, thick welding rod into an L
touch the tip onto the ground down stud (thru welch plug hole)
turn on the welder, it will glow the stud area red hot in a few secs, might blow your circuit tripper

never had much luck trying to weld things to the stub

I found drilling and heating did get them out

I think if you made 2 X high quality LH drill bits, made into long drills as previously described, that would be the go, I used RH drills,would go slow, then when the bit “jam” in the cut, push it down, then reverse, wind the heated stub out

1 Like

As tyres age they lose lots of their original characteristics, Demian - don’t want to add to your load, but those tyres are no longer ‘flawless’…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

wow, great thread and pics/info. never judge a book by the cover, eh?

i try to use a radiator cap with a sacrificial anode attached and change them out regularly as cheap insurance. coolant systems get overlooked as much as brake systems. in other words, until it’s too late and there’s problems.

1 Like

Hi

Sure, yes yes, of course. A tire life is 10yrs really regardless of condition.

However, my point of course, to look at them and even analyze, one would genuinely never know.
Again a testament to at least its storage state.

@JAY_COOLE
Thanks for note. Funny, searching ad nauseum lately, came across your id within past posts.

An anode, oh brother…hate to go there. That smacks of something else amiss like a bad block grounding cable, radiator, etc.

Honestly, looking atvit all just now, it may be doable. Nothing bad seen within block at plug holes, nor within port passages at head other than the corrosion noted at one intake port within above photo.
Flushing ad nauseum every which way has shown nothing strange or upsetting. Nothing that immediately smacked me down saying, ah…no.

Of course, I am aware of what one cannot see, but I feel good about it really, believe or not.

My concern is removing head to note possible corrosion there or a block crack.
At that point I’m on hold for a while. Game over.

The studs are well worn down on a few on the intake side.
With patience, heating and applying penetrating lube, eliminating all oxidation via chemistry…hoping to slowly, methodically work them free from the bottom.

Ppl usully simply try and remove stud from above without addressing the bottom end, hence snapping.

I have a good feeling though…it could be ok…but at moment prefer a little pause to bask in the perfection that could be…
Perfectionism, it’s a problem.

(Edited: Excuse typos. Have no idea how ppl type on a phone screen with a finger!)

1 Like

One final note before I go for the moment.
Perhaps I should create a new topic? Nah…

For those in the know who may come across this…

Brazing.

The more I research the concept the more it interests me.

I will not attempt to write some pedantic dissertation on the topic from all I’ve read. One can research on their own via abundant resources online.

However, brazing the base of these studs via the plug holes to add reinforcement to the stud base.

I haven’t welded in years…It would be somewhat of an investment of time and $ also…not against it, but…

Insert a heat shield pieces beside stud for protection of course, yet using a simple butane torch upon cleaning, sanding, and resolving corrosion one can braze aluminum or silver to steel.

These aluminum, aluminum alloy, and silver sticks are apparently readily available at home depot et al.

Brazing, and therefore reinforcing, the base of the stud there where all corrosion is, also perhaps brazing a pieces of metal to the base to assist in torsion strength while attempting to remove the studs, etc.

Hell, if done well one may just leave it as is! Would be the last time in my lifetime studs would need to be addressed!

Of course actual testing and additional research necessary.

Curious thoughts of experienced welders…

Final note, from all i have read, I intend to avoid “easy-outs”. They break easily.

Kind regards.

If there is a key to that nasty job…that is it.

1 Like

Have done some brazing in the past - cars and fireplaces. Lower temperatre but less forgiving than welding as everything must be scrupulously clean. Creates a very strong bond. Can be done with propane kit - easier to manage than oxy acetylene - especially where you’re intending. Paul

1 Like

There are two ‘bind’ points, Demian; the ‘head to stud’ upstairs - and the ‘stud to block’ at the bottom threads. Bracing the obviously weakened studs trough the welch plugs may or may not work. Bracing can be generously dimensioned - cut off once the stud is free from the threads…

Studs binding to the head is not solvable this way, of course, but when the studs are ‘cut’ they will come out with the head - to be attended to at some leisure…:slight_smile:

Just be prepared for the studs snapping any old way, and have a ‘plan B’ for that eventuality. Needless to say; you need a full set of new studs…

Frank

1 Like

Mine looked VERY similar. #1. Patience #2 concoction of Kroil, Sea-foam, PB Blaster, rotated daily #3 impact wrench set at LOW on double-nutted stud. Hit it a few times in short bursts. Then stop and reapply the concoction. #4 have a beer and come back tomorrow!

This worked on mine. Six came out easily, four more the next week, and the one remaining stud, two weeks later. None broken!

3 Likes

@Frank_Andersen

Yes, realized and remembered that…it’s been a while.
Removed as much rust and debris I can mechanically for now.

Will allow chemistry to do its thing next.

@69Cat

Hi there.
Thank you very much for the info and taking time. Helpful. A bit reassuring and comforting too…

It’s been many years and many lifetimes since I’ve done this stuff…

If I were you I’d make a necklace out of them like Indians did with bear claws etc. :slight_smile:

If I get thee out, I’m making a sculpture out of them or trophy!

I can appreciate why you’re going all the way with yours. If I had that work environment I’d probably do the same.

On another note, this, like many things, is a lot like chess, planning 2-3 moves ahead…hoping for the best, planning for the worst.

Wondering, each end of block uses the short studs.

Worse case, why not simply thread the existing holes of the others at the top of the block the way they used to be and use short studs in their place?

No more stud corrosion concerns.

I am guessing it must be partially a cost issue, as I have not actually heard of anyone doing that
maybe they have, but it would be expensive for more than a few

It may be the deck is not deemed thick enough at that point

If it worked it sounds like it would be good

as I mentioned, one I saw had a threaded rod with nut stuck up under the water jacket, thru the head, and bolted down…a true bush mechanic solution

1 Like

The main point is that brute force will snap stuck studs, Demian - Steve’s approach is a model of patience, with a fair chance of success…

Frank

1 Like

Installed some 1.5in plastic plugs from home depot, .40ea…used atf silicone to seal.

One 1.5in expansion plug…needed 2 though. One for each side.
*(note actual plug size needed is 1 5/8)

Filling with evaporust.
We shall see…

Also got my 2ft copper pipe for heater…Must be a sale as pre cut, $4

1 Like

Demian what a mess you got your hands into. Makes some of my projects look easy compared to what you got going on, I’m sure it will all work out in the end good luck on your project i will be watching and praying for you lol
Good luck mate.

1 Like

@sawyer10702

I know, right?! Undecided consciously whether I have time for this crap now, yet unconsciously I continue on autopilot going through all the motions…I guess I’m doing this!
Appreciate the well wishes!

@Frank_Andersen

Yes, of course this is well understood Frank, thanks. But one must have a plan B, C, and even D…much like chess.

Genuinely appreciated all the responses and well wishes. Thank you. It had lead me down path once again recalling things and how to proceed.

For posterity and future searches, I wished to add the following final update for a while…

Evaporust did well removing and cleaning the block. Considered vinegar of course, yet preferred this due to the flash rust vinegar causes, nor wishing to neutralize after, etc… Didn’t wish to address after. Oxalic acid not safe on aluminum.
As a note, people online state vinegar will damage aluminum as it is porous, etc. This is incorrect, for the record. It will not as the aluminum used on car motors is an alloy, with an oxidation layer which resists the acid. Yet I wouldn’t leave it in for weeks on end personally.

As it’s a but volatile I chose evaporust due to its safety and outstanding known results.

Seems a plug on each side leaked due to not enough silicone on the temporary plastic caps…you only had one job!! sigh…

So the inner block was only bathed so high in the stuff…so will do it again later.
Flushed out again well, vacuumed out all water.
When dry doused all with PB Blaster.

The intake side is nice as due to block design pockets are there to keep the bolt end soaked in penetrant.
Exhaust side, no…so I reapply whenever I get the chance.

Intend to do this for a week or so as I can, while also heating with butane torch and applying and allowing to cool.

Removing the head is well documented. Not repeating.
Removed head acorn nuts…1/4 turn at a time. Important.

Low and behold one of the worn down intake side studs came out with the nut!
A nice sign!
The shaft rather covered in chalky oil residue and prevented corrosion…

ALSO, I intend to try a trick I saw.

Using small plastic water bottles, drill large holes in the caps, affix each with silicone over(around) each head stud, open end up…

When dry, cut the plastic bottle(s) down in half or more, and screw them into the upside down caps which are over the stud to create a cup for each head stud.

Fill each allowing goop to drain down without having to constantly refill.
I intend Marvel Mystery Oil as primary penetrant, but we’ll see.

As for remaining process should bolts break:

1: It IS possible to use the short studs, tapping the block holes, screwing in short studs as earlier models, and therefore replacing long studs entirely.

There are o issues regarding block structural integrity, etc. Simply grind the old studs down flat and use the short studs, tapping already existing holes in the block face.

I’ve been told this by a couple well regarded and well known Jaguar shops and restorers. An additional well respected source I came across online from JCNA noted it too.
(I won’t name them as a matter of discretion. I find it very rude those who post private emails for world to see or quote others within candid conversations).

It is apparently common practice. Surprised I have read of it nowhere else?
I see no great expense doing so…
Then one uses the earlier short studs as found on E Types and 420G/MkX models.

The difference I didn’t think to ask, happy merely it is a well regarded and doable option.

Don’t wish to be a bother but I may ask again what the difference is from short studs on later models.

From what I have seen it may be because there appears to be a rounded, bulbous end on them to key the head in place. Not the dowel one…it’s different I believe from what I have seen.
Nevertheless, it is what was told me so that is what I will research.

I will know when I see it and explore both types or ask again and post later.

2nd option: Replace long bolts as is well known and documented.

There is a fellow who has (had) a blog from 2009 by name of Corey Thomas.
Unable to contact him I am posting link here with full credits to him of course.

As it is so old, I am going to include some of the measurement details should it disappear as he included measurements and sizes I otherwise haven’t seen, especially helicoil.

Although I would prefer using time-sert.

Quote from Corey Thomas Blog:

" Removed the freeze plug to get side access to the area
Be prepared for a lot of coolant spillage including the corroded gunk - I left a container underneath in anticipation

Bought a Helicoil kit to repair a 7/16"-20 thread
Bought an 8pt (these are usually 6pt or 12pt) 5/16" socket for a 3/8" drive
Bought a 29/64" drill bit

Drilling
Modified the drill bit from a round shape to a square - sized to fit a 1/4" socket
I mated the 29/64" drill bit to a 1/4" hex socket facing the wrong way
I also mated a 1/4" extension to another 1/4" hex socket
To join these two, I used a 1/4" hex screwdriver bit which I cut the ends off - tape held these parts together from sliding apart
On the other end of the extension was a 1/4" drive to 1/4" hex adapter for the drill
I used tape wrapped around the tap as a depth guide and a magnet to clean out the area

Taping and Helicoil Insertion
Used a medium length 3/8" extension - the longer they are, the thicker they are which may not fit
I inserted the extension in the top of the block and mated it to the 5/16" 8pt socket that I inserted into the side access hole - from the freeze plug
I lifted that assembly then inserted the tap in the side access hole and mated that with the assembly
From there, it was simply a matter of using a socket on the top
The same was done for the coil insertion
Again, I used tape wrapped around the tap as a depth guide and a magnet to clean out the area

Throughout the drilling and tapping, I would spray SeaFoam for lubrication. I would also occasionally back-out the tap a bit for clean-up."

Of course this all should be improved upon, however it is only such description found and gives a good foundation.

A portable drill press is fundamental however, whether tapping block with threads or replacing long studs as per original. They can be found very inexpensively.
I intend to use natural earth (neodymium) magnets to hold the press steady.
These magnets are VERY strong.

With the head removed, the distance from top of block to base of stud is only 6.5 - 7inches.

12 inch left and right hand drill bits are readily available If tapping or preferably bolt removal necessary…so I don’t get his set up…

I forgot #3

Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.

Kind regards and hope this has been informative and helpful to those in the future.

It may be combination of various things to work of course. Speculating and preparing at this point.

Of course all this requires one with experience and confidence in their abilities.

Ciao for now

Yes it’s a lot to take o n D !!! But it is worth it…sometimes when a project gets on my tits. I’ll do something else for a day of two then I’ll be refreshed and get stuck in again,sometimes that really helps with the frustratiin bit…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m feeling that…worried me I was having thoughts of giving up for first time…ever…
Thanks for that!

Excuse the length on all that , but it is what it is…thought it useful and worth taking time to write.

Praying i haven’t a cracked block and that oil residue is merely result of blown head gasket, which was apparently attended to recently.

A lot more checking and going through to do…
ciao babe