Well, I’m starting in the correct direction

So like many here who have passed this point before, I’m finally at the resurrection portion of the program. I put two coats of light grey primer on the body plus one “cheater coat” of dark grey on my MK V today.
It’s quite a step in this restoration but I must say that I’m a bit worried about getting everything back on the car in as good condition as when I started taking it apart!
Tomorrow I get to prime the other parts. It’s been many weeks of sanding and fairing but I’m now looking “up” towards the completion of this project.
I’m beginning to feel as good as most of you here. There’s still months to go but I’ve turned the corner.
Thank you all for your posts and tips to look out for.

2 Likes

You’ll be fine!

I know that feeling, when you’ve got a car clear apart, and you wonder if you’ll ever get it back together in good running condition. You will!

Looking at your post again, that is some collection of stuff you have in that shop!

1 Like

Thanks for the pat on the back!
When everything came off the car, it was labeled, cleaned, lubricated where necessary and the painted before wrapping and storing on the rack. I’m hoping that the reassembly will go reasonably well.
I will be asking the members here for help and advice as I progress.
Thank you all!

1 Like

What’s in the back, a C-Cab Mack Bulldog Truck?

Here’s a tip. Put the doors and boot lid on and align them before you do your final paint coats. The factory did. I wish I had.

Fenders and skirts were painted separately on trolleys.

Bumper valences were left in a pile on the floor. :laughing:

2 Likes

I had moved the car to a friends shop for more space and much needed direction. I’m used to yachts and marine products but my friend has a lot of experience in vintage cars among LOTS of other things. This shop has 5 different sized lathes, three different milling machines. He has hand presses and up to a 40 ton “plunge press”. As I walk through the different sections of the buildings to get to certain machinery, I pass a couple 7 cylinder rotary airplane engines, a 1920 Overland, a 1932 Ford coupe, a 1927 LaSalle sedan, several ‘50s sedans a 1918 Ford pickup and several other interesting cars all in different stages of restoration. I walk out back to one of the 40’ containers to find a piece of steel or to another for some Stainless and pass an emptied school bus that now has an airplane fuselage with the next one containing the wings. I go back to the trailer that has my overflow of 1930 Cadillac engines and pass the parts of a 65’ blimp that he helped someone build for a college project that’s now discarded.
This place is amazing and my friend is one of those people who has no box to think outside of. It’s real nice to go there and “work” on the Jag when there is someone around to gently nudge me in the proper direction.
If interested, I’ll walk around one day and take some photos to post. This is really a hobby engineer’s playground!

3 Likes

Rob,
Thanks for that tip. I found a discarded office chair that another member here suggested be used in the reattachment of the doors. I’ll use that to get the doors back on the car. Now that you’ve recommended putting the doors on before final coats, it makes sense. I can see some scratching in the process. I’d rather scratch primer the finish coat!

Ooooooo! Whenever!!!

I found myself looking for an excuse to

Uploading: 97C6078F-00F8-4BCC-A01A-F487E4390131.jpeg…

Uploading: 4035C489-CF25-45CB-A148-48E495366739.jpeg…
stop rubbing 72 year old steel with gritty paper. I took a walk around my friends 40 acres and took a batch of photos.

1 Like

What a treasure trove!

I was trying to delete that post but I’m up at our summer house in the Adirondack Mountains of NY and have lousy cell service here.

1 Like

Cool Mack Bulldog c1915, gotta love the acetylene headlamps, rear mounted radiator, chain drive and wide radial tires. :grin:

Ok, just for kicks, here are a few more photos taken while walking through a couple rooms of Bob’s shop.

3 Likes

What I wouldn’t give for that radial engine!

He has three. One on his plane in a bus (sounds like a kids toy…Plane in a bus!)
and he has two others.
It’s just a tinkerers haven there. Giant tools, machinery and antique cars everywhere!

2 Likes

What a person! Please send him greetings from Jag-lovers and tell him that we love not only vintage cars, but also people like him.

It’s pretty cool spending time around someone whom there’s no box to think outside of!

Someone needed to move a pair of train cabooses so Bob made this trailer for them. Anybody need a caboose moved?

And what would you do with it?
:laughing:

I know, I know, I’d also love to have one and just look at it, and keep drooling over it! :smiley:

Cheers!

Put it on a stand, find a stub prop, and run it!!

1 Like

It’s a Pratt Whitney 986

1 Like