Well that didn't go as planned

So today I had my xk8’s yearly inspection done and it passed just fine! Yay! However, when i went to put my papers back into the glovebox it reminded me of something that I needed to work on. My right side latch bar in my glove has been sticking since i bought it. I decided to give it a go since it was pretty nice outside. I got the door off just fine and looked at the mechanism some. I then watched a video someone posted and tried the q tip method. I was trying it as i went and just as it started to seem to be loosening up, the one tab broke off of my latch! Argh! Oh well I thought ill try putting it back in temporarily and keep at it. Well then the back part that moves the metal latches broke off and the handle fell off in my hand! Oh well, I thought, it’ll make it easier to clean it out this way and then ill epoxy everything back together later! So i was cleaning up the metal rods and TWANG my spring went flying! Luckily I saw where it went! Unluckily it landed in my scrap metal bin drrrrrr. I dug down through everything and YES! I actually found it! So i cleaned everything up and lubed it and put the spring back in and it was still binding! Looking at it i noticed that the right side metal rod cup seemed slightly bent! AH-HA! So I grabbed my pliers and tried to tweek it a little. Not enough. Tried again. ALMOST! Tried one more time and…SNAP! ARGH! THE CUPPED END BROKE RIGHT OFF! Needless to say. Now I have a left side only manual slide operated glove box latch. Sometimes I should just leave well enough alone. Smh

1 Like