Well, We Did It . .

Sorry, Steve. No offense intended. :smile: I have enjoyed following your journey.

1 Like

But just think in 7 years, after your wife has left you and your kids donā€™t recognize you, youā€™ll have a beautiful car that is almost done.:joy:

1 Like

ā€¦ in which, he can live!

WOW!! And congratulations. You are in the right spot for assistance.

LLoyd

Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Scott please be careful. My cousin bought a nice driver quality Maserati Bora and drove it for a little while and then pulled the engine to do a few things. Restoration-itis then set in. Ten years later the car is still in pieces at a shop with no end in sight. Same story with another friend who bought an E that looks like had similar type history and condition as yours. I think it can get easy to get overwhelmed when things come apart in a major way. My 2 cents

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Oh, yes. I will fight that urge for sure. My primary goal is to get it back on the road. When I was a kid, we had an old Auburn in the garage that my dad bought before I was born. He immediately took it apart and it sat in pieces. For 25 years.

1 Like

Check out motorcycle lifts. Up to 1,500 pound capacity, from $200.00 to $500.00. Prolly available for rent.

Very nice stable!!! I feel akin to the Mercury, although mine was a coupe and two years younger.

As to the Dodge !!! General ā€œBlack jackā€ Pershing and Pancho Villa favored them. Pancho was shot while riding in his on his ranch after he retiredā€¦

Carl

What flavor Auburn? My ā€˜rents sorta did the same thing!

Paul, you and I talked about this a bit last summer. 1928 Cabriolet. Here it is in its current home at the ACD Museum where the present owners have it on display.

1 Like

I took half a day off and went over to Robertā€™s (seller and friend) shop to do a little cleaning and work on the Jag. Interior cleans up pretty well, and I did just a little cleaning on the carburetion side of the engine.

I also jacked one side up and took off one of the wheels that didnā€™t hold air. Replaced that with the brand new spare wheel and brand new (40 year old) Michelin redline. I was pleased that the wheel came off easily.

After we finished up at the shop (and I bathed my friendā€™s Espada for him) we went over to his house, where he went up and found the interior kit under his bed. He was right, itā€™s a brand new, 20 year old BAS interior kit. I thought it was just seat covers, but it also includes new carpet, various pieces of hardura, and jack and tool rolls. Of course I donā€™t actually have the jack or any tools. :slight_smile:

I also took more time to inspect the sills and other body parts with a magnet. No signs of any filler.

All in all, a great day. I hope to get it home to my house in the next couple weeks.

2 Likes

Wow, it looks ready to drive homeā€¦

1 Like

I wish! :-). Itā€™s got 25 year old tires (at least), two of which donā€™t hold air. Hasnā€™t been driven in almost 20 years and purportedly needs a new clutch. Itā€™s going to be coming home on a trailer. I do want to get it home soon to work on it in a better environment. If you havenā€™t seen the video of my friends place, itā€™s here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p4JLdDe8SY . The Jag shows up around the 25 min mark, I think.

1 Like

Great video, and what looks like a really nice car. :+1: I confess it was interesting to hear Robert talk of the perils of taking a car apart, as so often they never go back together again, which was what we were talking about. I do urge caution. :grinning:

Also, you might want to explore the possibility of restoring the original interior, instead of installing a new kit. As the saying goes, they are only original once.

Robert

Robert,

I appreciate that sentiment, but this hasnā€™t been original for quite some time. The owner prior to my friend had restored it, but he lived in the desert and did the seats in vinyl due to the lack of humidity. The center of the dash and the console should be aluminum, but were covered, apparently to prevent glare. Much of the interior is just fine and wonā€™t be replaced. Door cards, sill covers and headliner, for example.

Iā€™m not even 100% sure that red is the original interior color, but Iā€™ll find that out when I get a heritage certificate. Regardless, itā€™s staying red. I am pretty sure that the exterior has always been OEW. Seems to have original paint in the boot area.

-Scott

A dead giveaway of original colour is whatā€™s behind the drop down dash centre panel.

Iā€™ll check that out, Nick. Any trick to getting it to drop down? I donā€™t want to damage anything before I get it home.

It should drop down with no problem but after some PO efforts the plastic strip that identifies switches may get stuck.

Undo the two thumb screws tucked up into the upper corners, pull down on the headlamp switch.

Very cool video. Iā€™m wondering what your VIN/Chassis number is 8888XX? or 8889XX? Iā€™m guessing it is a fairly late 63ā€¦built sometime after July.