Wet headlamps on 1970 e-type

Final assembly of headlamps for my 1970 E-type SII OTS. It is clear that the design of the E-type required covered headlamps in order to have a dry envoirment for the headlamp assembly. So, any uncovered headlamp jags are going to get wet when driven in rain. I can live with that but would like to have suggestions as to best protect the uncovered headlamps.

You are obviously not running sealed beams, since moisture inside them is not an issue.

I assume you are running something like Lucas PL700s. Just make sure you install the bulb capsule, and rubber weather boot properly and you should not have a problem.

I’ve yet to see a Series 1 that didn’t have leaky glass covers. I’ve not had issues with my open headlights even when I drove the car in the rain last time, oh, about 25 years ago. Then again, I’m using sealed beams.

Today on the BSOL we drove pretty much all day through rain, and a little snow. Many Series 2’s with open headlights involved, including mine. I’d be surprised if any of us have any more problems with water ingress than those with Series 1’s.

-David

I didn’t even give a thought to the headlamps - possibly because the interior was taking on water like a submarine that had been hit.

But a great drive anyway.

John, Thanks for the advice. I will seal all as best I can.

George, If I had known about the water problem I would have gone with sealed beam lamps. However, since I have the halogens from Barratt I will have to seal them as much as possible. May have to change to sealed beam in the future.

Hi Dale,

I’ve been running Cibie H-4 lamps out in the open on my Series Three for many years, and even with getting caught in the rain on a regular basis, I’ve never had any problems with moisture getting into the lamps. I would suggest you stick with those halogens and see what happens… be aware though that if you go beyond “legal” wattage bulbs, you’ll need heavier wiring and relays to handle the extra amperage.

Good luck,
Jay

[quote=“dale1937, post:1, topic:356662” It is clear that the design of the E-type required covered headlamps in order to have a dry envoirment for the headlamp
[/quote]

No offence, but this is possibly the oddest query/assumption I’ve ever read here Dale.

The E and a tiny, tiny number of other cars had covered headlights. In every case I can think of, the reason for the added complexity was streamlining/cosmetic, not to keep the same lamp units as every other car dry. Deleting the covers created no more of a wet weather issue than every other car on the road already had and was not troubled by. Hence there was absolutely no need for a dryer environment to shield E-type lamps than the same totally exposed lamps on all other cars?

Congrats to the BSOL team for driving on through when even the heavens were mourning Jerry. All llast week was spent driving Angus’s 66 FHC in rain (and Goodwood mud seven days ago). The wipers were perfect and the best on any E I’ve ever driven in rain (which is quite a few). To anyone whose wipers were poor, keep fettling - it IS possible to get them working well.

Pete

OK Peter, Your comments are true, I just did not realize that this might be an issue, or a non issue! I am always looking for problems. So, my assumed problem is over stated. Thanks for your correction.

Probably a superb attribute in some kinds of work!

On the 1970-1975 Citroen SM, Euro model, they had 6 front lights, of wich all were hydraulically ! hight corrected and the inner spotlamps were coupled to the steering. All are glass covered, so it looks a bit like a butcher’s salesplace.

But - they even vented the space. There are 2 openings, and into the left one warm air is blown, the right one is the air exit.

It actually works. And this car is almost as fast as an E-Type, it does 230 km/h officially tested, the 2.7 Maserati V6 is marvellous (if not just exploded, that is).

And because of that incredible light system, you actually can go fast at night. It is very visible in the whole concept that they arrived at that solution - the lamps only had that size, no computers for large shapes available (as was later on the CX from 1976 onwards), but also no round lamps needed anymore- it was the phase when they could make rectangular lamps - so a lower nose was possible- but no longer there was a need for round lamps which is a non-computing-needs shape from the 15th century somewhat.

So, they went for 6 lamps instead of 4, low nose, fast car- they needed the 6 for the speed of the car. This way they overcame the E-Type S1 problems - which of course was a very fast car back then but not after dark. The SM was fast, whenever you want it to be fast, it is. Even today I get “the looks”, when a 3 series Beemer driver simply cannot believe that I am still there at 200+, uphill, in that old mule.

You can go through rural france at 2’ in the morning. No problem. Even around corners. What a car.

The DS from 1967 has covered lamps as well, all 4 hight corrected by wires and the inner ones are coupled to the steering. No heating in this case. But this car maxed out at about 160, not 230+.

In fact they re-styled the nose from one single to two lamps and steering lamps as well- when the speed the car could do by then was so high that it made sense. The uprated engines they had from 1966 onwards dictated better lights- so they re-shaped the nose.

And then, at even higher speeds- they went for the SM front end.

It all had to do with the evolution of the computer, think of it.

After the SM, computers had evolved- and free shape / form lamps could be made. Poorly, of course, hence they were that huge, see a 1974 CX. But they were good enough to cancel the very expensive mechanism to steer them, the 3 glasses on the SM- so they did. And the CX only did about 180, so again, no need for more.

So - yes, it gets damp in there in some cars, but ONE companies did find their way around it…in a very advanced way, as these guys always were.

Carsten

Six headlamps, very interesting article. I am sure they could see well at night. So, my 1970 E-type only has two. Therefore halogens are my choice.

I had no.problems with the headlamps on my recent BSOL trip…and it rained and snowed. The softop where it meets the windshield is another story…drip…drip…drip.
Abe