We've only gone and done it ... Quad-Cam V12

i remember when C/M,G/R, woulDSCN8695 d not even look at Jaguars!
when i was restoring mine(1995) they came by shop and turned away in disgust!
waste of time!

Was never meant to be a high speed test Dave. Norman was under strict instructions from Lofty England to keep speed down but have lots of revs for the camera. It was meant to be just publicity shot to help promote the new V12 Jag E-Type.

Peter Jones was there on the day. He tells of leaning in to the XJ13 and reminding Norman of the instruction. But our late hero had a different idea!

2 Likes

Nice looking car Ronbros - looks purposeful!

1 Like

HI neville , about the lower case breathing subject!
a lot of guys dont realize(not you), that with 70psi oil pressure escaping from the engine internal bearings etc, you have built up an extra pressure in the block and heads,so it has to go someplace!
most Vacuum oil vapor back into inlet manifolds,a quick fix at best!
some put a remote vacuum pump on, like Dry sump types!
or they use a large oil trap cannister, which if you have a forced induction system it becomes nessasary !
i know you have been kickin around what you deem correct, seems i am thinking my V12 has an oil vapor when at full throttle,NO Vacuum, and factory system is not adequate to handle the oil that ends up in the air filter housings, and then drawn into inlet manifold,(BAD).

i have a note on my mirror in front of me says, CHANGE the PCV system,in large letters!
nowadays there are available many types of crankcase/cylinder head Catch cans, that hopefully trap liquid oil,you periodicly drain , and vent excess air pressure out of engine interior!, maybe two air/oil catch systems?
they have become manditory at some racing venues, dont need any oil on track when slowing from 200mph, going into a corner!
unless we develop some new sort of intuition driving( good drivers already have it).
anywho i know you will come up with something that works that dont allow the oil to run low from blowin out some vent system!
ol shel once said “to finish 1st you must 1st finish”.

Neville , my cam specs SOHC V12 shows .400" lift(close to 7/16"),
282* duration.
inlet opens 31BTC
exh. closes 31
ATC
very close to what you are using, interesting Hmm.
overlap 62*,(rough idle), i like it, car guys love it!

Tell a race car driver, to go slow.

We KNOW how that worked out!!

Thank goodness that, in the end, Normie survived, with one helluva tale!

I had a feeling that one of the magnesium wheels failed?

Robin
It seems more likely to have been a consequence rather than the cause. The blame was laid at the use of magnesium in wheels being a relatively new technology (Magnesium wheels of this sort had been in use on cars in the US as early as the 1940s in Indy). The wheels on the car were barely four years old at the time of the crash.

Lofty England was certainly of the view (according to a letter he sent to Jaguar Magazine many years after the crash) that it was simply our hero Norman trying to show he should have been chosen as the car’s main development driver (and not Hobbs and Attwood) - and losing it through over-speeding on a compromised rear tyre. None of us could blame Norman - after all, wouldn’t any of us have done the same given an empty high-speed track and the XJ13? Norman was a racer at heart after all!

Lofty England did say that there were “politics” involved with Dunlop and there were efforts to divert any blame for the crash away from Dunlop’s tyres.

1 Like

Ronbros - really interested in your comments. What you say was also echoed by Richard Hassan (ex Jaguar and Coventry Climax). Please give me a day or so and I’ll respond properly.

Cheers,
Neville

1 Like

Thanks Neville, I was just going on what I thought had been the cause, certainly won’t argue against Sir Bill :slight_smile:

maybe not related to post but about tires, but on some of the OPEN HYWAY racing , most car crashes are contributed to loss of tyre air was above around 170++mph ,centrifugal force would pull the tyre away from rim and leakage of air!
new rules is tires have to be dated manufacture, and also able to stay inflated for over 250 mph, papers to show documentation!
i have seen(got pix someplace), a car Nissan GTR ,NEW just off truck from Japan,unlimited money, race shop prepared , lose a left rear , and go end over end 5 times, loss of tyre air, as its called in USA racing ,BALLED IT UP! scary!

you want more? a full prepared Camaro BBC 572 in., because many cars can Aero lift the front end at speeds over 175/200mph, guy spent much time putting frt fins down force spoilers Etc.
YUP! car had so much downforce it blew BOTH Fronts at the same time around 190+mph!

way back, i’m thinkin 1990/91, Guy showed up with immaculate Ferrari car , wife copilot, left the road at 170ish , crashed , killed his wife, him in hospital for months!
around that time organizers started TIRE rules, today we have much better choice of 200+ tires!
gotta add this Open hyway racing is on blocked off public roads two lane!
if you go off there is NO runoff area to save yo ass, it into huge rocks /boulders, or a stone wall!

A friend of mine does most of the timing for these things: I threatened to take Tweety on one…but age and weeniness cut THAT idea short!

1 Like

Wigs; its an interesting form of Ametur racing!
the one i went to few times was “Silver State Classic Challenge” Nevada!
was 100miles hyway, reduced to 90 miles few years back, because hyway was going past some private homes,!
but this can give you something to think about , basicly you run wide full throttle open for 90 miles with no let up! there are a few spots where you can slow to 125/130 mph couple minutes , then back on wide open! very few cars were able to do that !
also NO forced induction cars could stay on FULL BOOST for 90miles, ,but engineering recently has changed that!
last time i checked the record holder was a Road RACE chassis Nascar set up with a, UNrestricted Nascar engine, average speed for 90mi. was 207 mph, dont know what tires!
less than 1/2 hr for time!

1 Like

OOPS , Neville sorry topic wandered off!

I’ll be interested in how all the needed ancillaries will be installed, plus how you do the exhaust headers.

I also assume it will be a manual 'box?

I’ll post pics after next weekend showing details of alternator, starter, power-steering pump, exhaust headers etc. When installed in a S3 E-Type both the E-Type and “saloon” sump can be used (or the TWR-inspired dry-sump we are currently working on).

Manual or Auto box can be fitted.

2 Likes

Nice idea: where on earth would one mount the oil tank??

We dun need no steenking cabin heater!

:grimacing:

Given modern sensibilities, perhaps a modern autobox might actually appeal to a broader audience.

1 Like

Wigs ; no guts ,no glory!!

Any updates on this? Beautiful piece of engineering. Can’t wait to see more and more applications.

Eric

You can follow a lot of Neville’s amazing work at:

and

Amazing work. Amazing Dedication. Amazing skills.

2 Likes