What a Difference a Few Decades Makes

Not much to comment on except – -- – WOW

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=47217

Exhaust timbre’s a bit different, too!!

Which leads to my fave gasoline advert, ever!!!

2 Likes

That’s a great commercial!!

Formula One is dead… like the rest of the world, buried under useless rules and regulations killing innovation. Drivers can’t race anymore without fearing penaltys if they touch… no more testing to save money so new drivers struggle to learn… and those hybrid engines sounds like —— compared to the V12 or v10s of just a few years ago.

1 Like

If they “fear penalties because they can’t touch?”

Good.

They shouldn’t touch: that’s sloppy driving.

That was really cool!!! Dont think I ever saw it. Thanks for puttin that up Wiggles. Never been a Shell co. fan might have change??

I guess they hadn’t figured out by 1950 that the knockoff threads needs to be reversed on the right side? He had to bash hell out of it to get it off, presumably because it had to be super tight so as to not fall off.

I think it was well known by that time. Certain passenger cars in the 40’s had reversed lug nuts on the right side, presumably to prevent them backing off. Studebaker is one brand that did this. Obviously it was eventually decided that it was not necessary in that application.

Back in the mid-1960’s, my girl friend’s mother’s car had a flat on the right rear and she asked me to change the tire. I don’t remember what make the car was, Buick or some such. I nearly busted a hernia trying to get the lug nuts off until I noticed an arrow indicating that the nuts were reverse threaded.

1 Like

IIRC, Chrysler products had hose in the 60’s.

2 Likes

I think the quickest stop I saw in F1 this year had the car stationary for 2.2 or 2.3 seconds. It’s gotten to where 2.8 seconds is considered ‘slow’.

Dad’s 1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special had reverse threads on the right side. If I can figure out how to attach a photo, you can see what it looks like after the Camp Fire.

Jim Schott

The chassis to the right is what’s left of Dad’s 1935 Bentley. If you search for B-130-DG, you can see what it used to look like. Both these cars were driven out from Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The Caddy in 1962, the Bentley in 1966. That big pot to the left of the Caddy was used for melting chocolate. Double-walled, with steam doing the melting. Used to sit in Dad’s office as a flower pot, occupied by Eegore the plant. The remains of 877162 are at my brother’s old house on Green Oaks Drive. Once Paradise is opened up to the public, need to wander down from Kennewick WA to pick thru the remains. Will elicit some suggestions from you educated folks about what to do with the Jag remains.

Not much I can say except, that’s heartbreaking.

Dear Goddess, those pictures break my heart: my deepest sympathies.

Sadly, cars in fires that large are truly a total loss: the body steel is unusable, and even the cast iron and steel bits suffer from too catastrophic of heat damage to be used.

Blockquote

Yes, Chrysler used them in the 60’s through early 70’s. My Charger had them when it came out of the factory in 1971.

…sorry,speechless…

Don’t you just hate those who live in the US for ten years and never bother to learn the language?
I think no one should graduate from grade school without learning either Cherokee, Apache, Ute or Arapaho.

LLoyd July, 2014

That just breaks my heart, I hope your family is OK…
LLynn

Old Buicks had left had threaded lug bolts on on side, right on the other. The family car was a '55 Buick, I learned there was such a thing as left hand threads on that car.
pauls

Jeeps, too, till the 70s.