What a project. So tempting

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1967-jaguar-e-type-manual/SSE-AD-13432122/?Cr=1

I’ll bet this will be sold within a week.

1 Like

How much Extra do you think is needed to finish it, in Kanga Bucks $50K
Whats it worth Down under done. ?

There’s a heckuva lot there for the asking price, that’s for sure. All that work done, plus the parts and a hardtop. This appears to be maybe 2/3 restored.

$50,000 might cover it, depending on what rare trim is missing. The positives are mighty compelling though: a documented bare bones shell restoration - what price peace of mind?

The restorer from now on would also further document the completion, adding extra value to a future sale.

All that glitters is not gold…

I’ve been involved in around 20 E type restorations (including 4 of my own) in the last 15 years.

So. They’ve stripped the paint off the body shell, and welded in new foot wells, then undercoated the result. Maybe they’ve done this well. Maybe not.

But.

The bonnet is in bits. The engine frames are still painted blue. The body needs proper prep and paint.

The engine hasn’t run since at least 2014. Ditto gearbox. Ditto IRS. Ditto carbs, electrics.

Nice hardtop. Pity half the chromes are missing.

Some other bits might be missing too…

At least. And it’s still LHD in a RHD country.

Wiring.

Trim.

Chrome.

Suspension.

Etc etc etc.

Essentially, with a failed resto, all bets are off.

The ad always says that tens of thousands of dollars have been spent, and all the work has been performed by an expert in the field. But, sadly, the owner has just run out of puff, even though the car just needs “a little work to complete”.

What you’re actually buying is a pile of parts that could be in any sort of condition, and you have to put it all back together. Like a lucky dip, but in reverse.

I’ve bought several failed restos in the last 40 years. What they teach you is what I’ve written above.

Nothing is done properly, everything expensive or rare is missing, and what you’ve been told is at best a rosy view of the truth.

I’m in a fairly unique position in Australia in that I have the contacts, equipment and experience to restore this car properly. I would estimate that if I did it for myself it would cost an additional $80 to $100k. If you were paying a professional restorer that number would be $120 to $180k.

Now finished properly and road registered this car is probably worth $250k, so it’s economic. But you need to cough up say $200+k first.

15 Likes

Wise words indeed. !!

1 Like

If ever there wete wiser words, concerning pokes and pigs…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Could not agree more with Andrew …. I just finished the cream car same year and spent in x ses of $250 k not including the original car for a exceptionally fussy client and he ended up with a truely beautiful car…… I’m told a 9.5 minimum car ….I used only the best body, paint, trim and engine people withe the best reputation here in Oz

This car as Andrew says could be ok but probably not looking at some of the work …. Panels repaired notreplaced….I’d want to see a lot more photos before buying …. In my view this is only a $60k car at best if you want to make a good car you’ll probably spend an extra $180 …. So $250k for finished car ….sounds doable

Cost of restoration in Oz is killed by labour costs and the tyranny of distance for freight

1 Like

Tub and body now coated in POR 15

That is not a value add in my experience. That’s going to be a bear to get off to prime properly. That said, the seller’s price is probably a realistic starting point for for negotiations. They want all their money back out. They just need to be helped to understand that because of all the unknowns, they can’t get it.

2 Likes

Wow. I was seriously considering it. Thanks for the timely warnings. I think I’ll keep saving and buy at the top end; at least I’ll be able to drive it rather than look at a pile of parts.

It seems there’s as much to lose from buying a stripped restoration project than there is from a pig like this at Lorbek: 1969 Jaguar E Type Manual

Which I’ve seen; whoever botched the respray on this couldn’t even have been bothered cleaning the overspray off the (rotted, original) windscreen rubbers.

Tom

2 Likes

Almost invariably: over the decades that I have been around this game, I hardly ever have seen that not to be true.

That’s not a 100% guarantee – there really are none in life – but that is your better bet. Generally, you’ll spend less money that way!

1 Like

Hello Danny,
Speaking of Freight issues, last Thursday I organized the shipping of a DB5 Aston Martin gearbox I had refurbished for a Sydney client. On Friday night I received an email from the Freight Broker stating that the freight company (major, major Australian freight company), doesn’t accept gearboxes as freight.

It would seem that they have so much work that they can charge what they like and pick and choose what they want to handle. This may be understandable for some dirty old gearbox lashed to a pallet, but this gearbox was scrupulously clean, having been freshly painted. The following picture shows how well it was packed.

DSC_0001303

Inside, there are wooden supports cut the the cross section profile of the gearbox and the gearbox secured with Tie Downs.

Heck, you could ship a decaying body in that tub and the contents wouldn’t get out.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

So, what was the solution? I mean… It’s just a blue box with some stuff in it!

Hello Paul,
I booked it again and lied about the content, telling them that the content was actually a decaying body. :grimacing:

No, I gazumped them with a closeup picture of the paperwork stuck to the lid of the box from the previous shipping, showing that they had carried it last time. Ahhhh, revenge really is, a dish best served cold.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

That’s a cold shower glad you chimed in with some buyer beware

Have you ever been to Snowtown?

3 Likes

Macabrely funny :rofl::rofl: US and Non Aussies need to look this up

The chief police investigator famously summed up the whole case : “Scum feeding on scum”.

2 Likes

No, but I know the case.

Regards,

Bill

Even though it’s a Porker, it’s germane to this discussion… All I can say is… Wow!

3 Likes