What are you using for plastic liner on doors?

Hi all, I’m getting ready to install the new door cards on my FHC. Originally there was a fairly heavy formed plastic liner between the door and door card. This had deteriorated / cracked to such an extent that I’ve removed it. I was tempted to just use a black plastic garbage bag as a source for material, but wondered what others have used. I think I’d prefer something of a heavier gauge.

The 3 mill contractor bags from HD are great for this.

1 Like

Beware of “Trash” bags! They are designed to deteriorate (pro bio-degradable).

Don’t ask me how I know. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

6 mil poly. vapour barrier will work well if you can buy it by the foot. A roll of the stuff is more than you will ever need unless you’re building a house…

1 Like

Every store I’ve been in that sells fabric also sells various colors of untextured, unbacked vinyl sheeting by the yard. Heavy enough to work with but not heavy enough to affect the fit of the door card, IIRC its even in the fabric section of your local Walmart.

If you’re talking about the black plastic pieces behind the door handles on series 1½-3 cars they are available from the usual suspects for an outrageous price. When I re-did my interior last year they wanted close to $100 US for a pair, totally outrageous for 10 cents of vacuum formed plastic. Plus they aren’t even done well, the edges and corners aren’t sharp enough, they’re too rounded. I was able to reuse mine but you might be able to use yours to make a mold and make new ones.
Cheers
Rick

I think the OP was talking about the plastic sheeting that keeps water from rain and washing from getting on the cardboard door card.

I used fiberglass cloth and resin on the backside of the pieces you mention to reinforce them and stop them from cracking further. Then I sprayed the side you see with semi-gloss black paint. So far, so good.

Yes, this is what I’m asking about.

I always used Saran Wrap, and 3M glue. Worked a charm: cheap, easy to apply, and it always worked well.

Really!? I would think it’s so flimsy it might not last for decades… I never would have thought to use it. Don’t get me wrong Paul, I’m not being critical. Just amazed!

1 Like

Yea… I know!

Glue it on well enough, and it seemed to work fine.

The contractor bags require UV light to deteriorate. Not much of that behind the panel.

1 Like