What brake pads are we using?

There is a lot of articles about upgrading the brakes on a MK2 ,
If you spend £800+ on a brake upgrade , you are going to say it’s better right :grin:
Nothing is said about the pads !!
It’s the pads that do the work , so I am asking what pads are you using in a standard brake system ?
There are quite a few about for sale , E-bay jobs around £20 , SNG about £40 , EBC Kevlar green stuff £65 ,
I got in contact with Mintex , and they do quite a few diffrent compound’s , the one they suggested for fast road, worked out at £80 ,
All prices are about , and a axle set , ie 4 pads
I bet most MK2 owners do not think about the diffrent compounds the pads are made up with ,
Is there much diffrence , you can pay £40 or £160 +

This topic is just for pads on standard calipers , I don’t need to know about your brake upgrades , been there done that and got the T shirt on motorbikes :grin:

1 Like

How interesting , not one reply :laughing:
Yet I started a new topic on a Axle change , and it soon got hijacked about brake up grades :thinking:
Like I said I am quite happy with the standard brakes , but always looking for improvement’s .
I was looking into brake pads , EBC green stuff , say there pads give 20% better braking!
I see a set on e-bay , 1 year old , never used , got them for £30 , and got another new set to go with them , about £65 , so when I do the Axle change I will fit the EBC Pads on the front at the same time .
They look impressive , and you get a lot in the box !
I guess like most things , you get what you pay for right ,
The fitting instructions explain the pads are coated in a red abrasive , that’s to make sure the discs are clean and free of any unwanted crap , then it tells you how to bed them in !
I will try and do a before and after brake test , like most people I guess , I don’t know what the brake pad compound is , that I have now !

1 Like

hi Ian, i do not have much to say about modern pads - more useful info is probably available from e type people who race or slalom. i have used original compound with lots of asbestos and copper and found them good for road/ highway. using repco now and they seem ok. i suspect most cars do not get driven hard enough to really evaluate.

Very true John, bet most MK2’s don’t see the other side of 70mph on the road :grinning: