What colour is the Duct Shield painted

I am replacing the “Duct Shield” that is under the radiator. A picture of a new one that I purchased is attached

as well as the diagram from the XKs Unlimited catalog.

Could somebody please tell me if this duct shield is painted the colour of the car or other, such as black?

Thank you,

I got one from a Usual and it was painted black already. Not sure if that is the correct colour.

Dennis 60 OTS

According to the JCNA Judging Guide the under shields and mounting brackets are semi gloss black. On BAT right now there’s a current auction for a 1966 E-Type with a good pic of that particular shield on this link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-jaguar-xke-roadster-16/

Duplicolor Low-Gloss black would work well and it’s readily available. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Robert,
Mine is the same colour as yours, unpainted aluminium or is yours white?
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

mine came unfinished, I painted it black to match the torsion bar shields. I realize the attachment hardware is wrong.

John, does the jacking block say “JAG” so you remember which of your many cars you’re working on when underneath? :grinning:

1 Like

thank you for the reply. I can see form the responses that the duct shield should be black.

image001.jpg

Chris,

That unpainted aluminum is the new piece that I purchased and have not installed yet. I now know to paint it black as the others have shown me it should be.

image001.jpg

Came that way from previous owner. Can’t give you an answer on why. Maybe while he was restoring the car he put it aside and labeled it so years later he’d answer the question “what’s this for?”

Hi Robert,
I was just pulling your leg. My panel was also missing and I made my own using an off cut of aluminium.
However, I will also paint mine black.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

John,

You showed a picture of your car with the Jack Point Wood Block tie wrapped to the front cross member of your E-Type.

Is this wood permentantly attached there and if so are the tie wraps the only thing holding it in place?

If you paint the aluminum, be sure to prime with zinc chromate first.

Mine were all painted black. Last year I removed the paint. Black simply shows far more dirt from the “gravel” roads I have to travel.

1 Like

And I suggest before you paint you do a trial fit.

I didn’t and found the holes on the new one did not line up well. But this was on a car with factory A/C and the shield was drilled with the necessary 7 holes.

The original shield for non-AC cars had 5 holes but I don’t know if any of the usuals offer one like that.

As for the jacking block, I secure mind with stainless steel zip ties (then hide them under the original style hole & peg factory straps). I’ve broken too many plastic ties to ever trust them as a sole means of support.

1 Like

It’s from the PO, held by the cable ties only. For jacking purposes (which I don’t use)

No? I find it the ideal place and protection for getting the front up on jack stands:

In the pic above, you can see the car is on a lift, so, I don’t use a jack. But, if I did, I would use it.