What connects the two posts on the firewall?

I am chasing a voltage drop and have removed and cleaned the two posts… but wonder what actually connects the two posts?

The two posts on the firewall is a junction for the battery to the other side of the car. I believe the starter is connected to the post on one side, and the other side the alternator. What year is your XJ? is it a 12 or a 6?

1 Like

Roger,
You didn’t mention the year or model of your Jaguar. I can tell you that on the Series III XJ6s the two terminal posts on the firewall (C45021) are connected by a long cable (C39476) about the thickness of the positive battery cable. If you don’t have a Series III XJ6 then it is possible that your car has something different.

Paul

Sorry, forgot this Forum does not show the it in the signature, only when you click on the picture of me and my dog Cora… mine is a 1971 XJ6 (now a Lump).

David at Everyday XJ sent me a link showing the cable used on the S2/S3 cars… does mine have
the same cable? Could not find it in the parts manual/service manual on the CD???

Can’t add much. MY 83 SIII is lumped. I did not mess with the cable connecting the two posts. And, I do not recall if it crosses in the engine bay, most likely, or in the cabin.

I did swap in a new cable from the right post to the starter. The eye ring at the starter “melted”. A part of my “starter adventure”. I got a much better cable from the local NAPA. The lugs much thicker. I bent one lug 90 degrees to fit. I think my starter appreciates it !!!

Carl

Carl,
The cable that connects the two positive terminal posts in a Series III XJ6/XJ12 is in the engine bay and it runs behind the asbestos heat shield on the firewall. You really have to search to see it and you can only really see the ends where they mount to the terminal posts unless you remove the heat shield.

As part of my Jaguar hobby I purchased three XJ6 parts cars and already completely stripped two of them. I found this experience very educational. I removed every single component down to the last nut, bolt, washer and screw and learned where and how all of the parts are installed. This has helped me a lot as I work on my Jaguars, especially on big projects like engine removal and replacements.

Roger,

I have no idea if your Series I XJ6 has the same cable between the two terminal posts but this email should help you find it if you do.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks, Paul.

kinda like the biology lab at college. dissected the dog fish shark and a frog. But, sans the pungent odor of formaldehyde!!!

Carl

Carl,
Yep. But after dissecting these XJ6 instead of formaldehyde there was the smell of old gas, 20W50, brake fluid and who knows what else. :slight_smile:
Here are two pictures of the Claret 1986 XJ6 that I parted out and sent to the local junkyard in April 2018. The first picture shows it poised on jack stands completely stripped and the other picture as it was dragged unceremoniously onto the bed of the tow truck for it’s trip to the junkyard.

Paul

Sorry Paul,

you’ve got me close to tears this time … it may be that the pictures belie the true shape of the hull, but from what it seems to be from the look of the sills, A-pillars and wheel house most of us series Jag drivers in the middle parts of Europe would just dream of such a rust free car.

Next time you find a similar SII car and get it to this stage, please let me know - I’d probably pay for the shipment from the west coast to Bremerhaven:-) and transplant my car into such a body.

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Call me crazy, but I like that smell. Coupled with the musty old leather interiors evoke memories beyond any other for me.

It’s true that memories triggered by smell are the most emotional and powerful.

I think that’s the first time I have ever seen an XJ stripped to its monocoque before. Wow.
And it appears to be in really good shape.
Always fun taking things apart…

Jochen,

I have purchased three Series III XJ6 parts cars and stripped two of them to this condition before having them towed away. My wife was glad to see them go. :slight_smile: I am working on the third one now.

The pictures don’t show the serious rust in the front and rear window channels where there were holes that you could stick your fingers through. Although the sills were fine. The paint was badly aligatored and nothing short of a bare metal repaint would have helped it out. The interior showed signs of spending entirely too much time in the hot sun and the leather and most of the vinyl was badly heat damaged. I bought the car for it’s nicely running engine, which I transplanted into my former 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas whose engine suffered a #6 piston ring failure. So I took a good engine out of a car that was not economically repairable, put it into my nice 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas daily driver to keep that car running. The current owner of that car (I sold it in August 2018) called me yesterday asking about some maintenance I did on the car and was very generous about praising the performance and reliability of the car since he purchased it from me.

Stripping a car to this degree is very educational, but very time consuming. I don’t plan on doing another one, and since I have no Series II XJ6s it is very unlikely that I would be able to help you out. (unless of course there right Series II XJ12C came along and I needed a Series II saloon for a parts car). :wink:

Paul

Yes Paul,

the window channels seem to be the Achilles’ heel of the otherwise mature body structure of series Jags. The point I wanted to make though that basically all series Jags used in “our” typical weather conditions - no matter whether on the British islands, France, Belgium, Germany - are literally rusted out from the doors down: it’s not just floor pans and the trunk floor, but also inner and outer sills, A- and C-pillars, and the adjacent parts of the wheel houses.

Many of the cars squared here could have been saved with a hull like you had - in our part of the world UV radiation doesn’t take a high toll, so interiors are typically presentable, and maintenance is good.

Good luck with your project - I envy you a lot :slight_smile:
Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I have a Series I XJ6 and yes it’s the same. It’s the same on all XJ’s including the XJ-S. Well earlier - pre Ford ownership anyway.

1 Like