What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 2)

Thanks Nick … nothing like on the Job training!

Are you using gas less mig?

1 Like

Nice work John… I cannot weld !
Cheers
D

1 Like

Robin…Mig with gas …obviously still learning on my own … I wish I could find a course someplace around here on sheet metal welding

Obviously my thin sheet metal abilities are limited as well. I was happy I was able to actually form a shaped panel however. Definitely a new skill. I would like to try TIG but need to master MIG a lot better first.

Do you have a local community college?

It’s the same way you get to Carnegie Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice. Instruction is also valuable if you can find a course near you.

From time to time I’ve thought about going by the body shop I’ve used in the past and seeing if they have a piece of damaged sheet metal they would sell or give me. I’d make cuts in it and then practice welding it back together.

1 Like

Don’t forget modern auto sheet metal is a lot different than the mild steel of old cars.
I prefer to use oxy-acetelene with a small aircraft torch and lightweight hoses. I have a MIG but the torch seems to give more control. TIG is probably best but how many have one in their home workshop?

1 Like

Yes lots of them but they all only seem to have commercial courses…

I’ve been using 18 g for most of my work so far but this piece had to be formed and I could not readily find a small piece of 20 so used some 22 I had which I have not welded before. Had to turn the heat way down to avoid blow through. I’ve been following a guy out of Canada Fritzie I think on U Tube… he’s been doing total car sheet metal restorations for ever and only has ever used a couple 110 MIG welders. He can do a whole panel but weld pretty much seamlessly.(he’s my welding hero) . I have a new plasma cutter I have never used I’m trying to sell to fund buying a TIG but seems like I should master MIG first.

BTW … I tend to go overboard when welding.This part did not need all those welds!! It’s addicting!

I have tried to TiG and found it very hard to do, never mastered it, I’m much happier with MiG.
Just do very short sections at a time to keep the heat down.

TIGging thin metal is quite tricky: I welded MANY inches of junk metal before I became semi-halfassed OK…

:roll_eyes:

Well here is my One Thing for Today… I was disappointed to find so much bondo around the soft top surround went I started to prepare to restore the outer top rim. (Foreshadowing of more to come no doubt” This time I went back to 18 gauge to form a patch panel. Also I think the heavier gauge allowed for more heat, better spot welds and a bead I formed all along the crest to grind down and restore it. All in all much better job than yesterday. Note tomorrow I still have a couple smaller patches to do before moving to the passenger side . On these types of repairs I also like to level them off with a thin layer of “All Metal “ before finishing.

Almost without exception, doing bodywork on these beasts is similar to trying to take the string off of a sugar sack, just a little bit at a time…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi John,In another life I worked as an industrial mechanic/millwright,did quite a bit of welding.My advice is don’t try to do a continuous weld,do a pulse welding technique,where you join one tack to the other,the trick is in the timing,you keep the shield up to your face,as soon as the previous tack cools to a dull red you pulse the trigger merging one tack into the other.With practice full penetration can be achieved with almost Tig like appearance.
Regards Gerry 62 Ots Ontario Canada

3 Likes

Can you advise on a good starting setting for amps and feed for wire welding without gas?

This would be for the kind of guage steel on our cars.

I would skip the gasless wire feed welding: it’s really difficult to do, and it’s very hard to get satisfactory results.

2 Likes

Seen it done to excellent results.

1 Like

Perhaps by someone who has very good experience on it: I’ve never seen a newbie master a gasless fluxcore weld.

Suit yourself.