What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

I’ll bet you’re compelled to finish a book you’re reading even if you’re not enjoying it … c’mon, admit it.

Thanks John. My knob was just on really tight. I got the guts out of the clock and the works look sprung plus there is some corrosion in there on some electrical parts. If you have info on a AA powered clock that will fit with the case and face I would like to hear about it.

David
68 E-type FHC

The only book I recall not finishing is a biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I could review it in two words, “A snoozefest”. :slightly_smiling_face: It was a truly brutal read.

1 Like

…Nick, I agree​:+1::+1::+1::+1:

Guess you should have waited for the musical,

I bought a Sharp Quartz Analog Alarm Clock at Walmart for $3.88. I removed the movement from the plastic case and cut all the wires at the movement except those leading to the battery holder, which I salvaged by carefully cutting it out of the case with a Dremel tool and cut off wheel. You will have to do some minor trimming of two corners of the plastic movement case to get it to fit in the original round metal can. Simple enough to do with the Dremel tool. The only modifications I made to the original clock, besides taking out the movement was to slightly enlarge the central hole in the face to accept the new movement and to drill a hole in the rear of the metal can to access the time setting knob
on the new movement.

There may be other small clocks out there that would work as movement donors but this is the one I used:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sharp-Black-Quartz-Analog-Arch-Alarm-Clock/20554638?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=58&adid=22222222227015960164&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40930131992&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78861878312&wl5=9026096&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=20554638&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwsIbpBRBNEiwAZF8-zwB_fhGuGRgETvF4rztvMp840YZv3eSxsVIze8rCK-CJatXr01InkxoC5oQQAvD_BwE

The end result.

2 Likes

Thanks John. I now have the face off the clock too. I will go to Walmart or someplace to get that clock or something that looks like would fit the original can and face. Nice to have a job I can do inside in the AC after having done front crankshaft seal and gas tank drop for sending unit repair on my other cars last month. It is real hot to work outside here until October.

David
68 E-type FHC

Worse than War and Peace?

:frowning:

I sent you a PM with details of what I did.

War and Peace was a piece of cake compared to Crime and Punishment. Before I got to the end of that one I wanted to turn myself into the state police.

2 Likes

I promise not to sidetrack the thread, but I thought it was pretty good. Perhaps not as engaging as some of Chernow’s other work. Definitely looong, like all his stuff. :slight_smile:

After doing a valve adjustment, I was going to install some bare aluminum and lightly polished S2 cam covers on the car. But before that I thought it might be time to freshen the head with some paint. Used aluminum foil to mask, as well as some tape. In the end it I thought it turned out well.

4 Likes

Nice! I need to do the same to mine. Getting long in the tooth with a little Indian Head that ran down from the cams covers as well

Getting the rear suspension at the correct height before tightening all the rubber mounted bolts

2 Likes

That top block looks a little precarious.

1 Like

Jenga !!!

Notice how I set it’s center of mass in the right spot… they are back under a tree now so I guess we lucked out on this one.

Good, that paint looks too nice to mar. :smile:

1 Like

It has its first scratch, so I guess everything from now on doesn’t count…

1 Like

I put the first scratch on mine while attempting to put the %$#*& chrome headlight opening trim on after it got back from the paint shop. I swore softly and walked away for a bit.

1 Like