What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Bit more I’d say

I GPS’d it. That graph is for OEM tires . I have 205x65x15 tires with a 3.54 speedo drive, and a 3.07 gear. So it was easier to work it out “backwards”, too many variables.

After checking the valve gaps, I found I needed to order two new shims. So while I am waiting for the to arrive I ran a polishing mop over the cam covers.

8 Likes

Those look nice…

1 Like

My intake is delayed once again hopefully in the next 2 weeks… Emerald sent me some literature to study before the install. Exciting stuff59%20AM

2 Likes

definitely going to need a 2.88 for that morning commute

Look forward to seeing it at Carlisle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Installed spark plugs, put on the hood went for test drive with light snowfall. Did the valve clearance job before christmas and finished it off today with test drive. Thanks davidsxj6 for support! We had fun and even got a thumbs up from pedestrians.

1 Like

I took the LH exhaust manifolds off the S3 today as they are leaking and one is cracked
Not an easy job! Not looking forward to putting them back on either!

Normally I wouldn’t brag about washing the car but this time was kind of special. After years of chasing water spots due to our hard water, I decided to splurge on a CR deionizing filtration system. It’s particularly problematic here in TX because the hot sun bakes on mineral spots in 20 minutes.

You can see it hanging from my wall. I washed the entire engine bay, the fabric top and the paint and rinsed using deionized water and didn’t touch a drying towel to anything. I can’t find any water spots at all. The initial purchase is pretty spendy but once expired (300 gallons) the refill works out to about 30 cents a gallon. Since you only work in short burst and just for rinsing it should last a good while.

4 Likes

I’ve had a run for the last few days! I got the exhaust back in my 63 and was able to install the tranny top and consoles yesterday morning at 4 am. Went to my friend’s house and worked on her 140DHC from 11 am until 4 pm, We got the rear wheel cylinders installed and the hydraulic hoses all in and closed p the system. I need to find out how the bee hives attach so we can install the shoes and drums next Wednesday and bleed the brakes. Meanwhile, my son got his 64 S1 back from Dan Mooney who did some needed maintenance which made a heck of a difference to the car-especially the narrow tires.Here he is with my grandson, who loves the carIMG_1752IMG_1754IMG_1755.

7 Likes

Of the 4 manifolds on my Series 3, 3 had cracked through the years. Of those 3, 2 repairs had held.

With my tax refund, there are going to be 4 brand new replacements headed my way.

1 Like

You have my admiration if you are going to voluntarily remove them again! I got away with being able to undo the lower nuts, but had to grind off two of the uppers.
Easier than my V8 Mercedes though a couple of years ago. Had to remove the engine to get them off…and it still took a week to get all the studs out. Two were sheared at head level. Got one out by welding to the stud but the last one had to be drilled dead centre. Saved the thread though.
I was so relieved when the V12 studs came out.

Erica, That is a smart approach.Strangely when I was visiting family in Shropshire UK 2 years ago I watch a house window cleaner do his "thing"by cleaning the 2 story house windows without a ladder. He used a long handled brush with soapy water to clean the dirt off the windows, and then washed off all the glass using a spray with water from a tank in his van. He then left to his next job, and the glass dried clean…absolutely sparkled! So I asked how he did this…and he was using deionized water. Over night his system at home filled his tank with treated water ready fo the next day. So I am sure the UK folks know all about this, but not so in NA !!!

I’ve had the larger CR Spotless (dual canister) for about 3 years. Still get 0 particle ratings on original particulate load. It’s a very cool system. I use it for the entire wash cycle. My cars have the cquartz paint treatment so I have a pressure washer and foam cannon for a true touchless.

One my E-Type has had some work done I plan on getting it cquartz treated as well, but will probably be a bit more careful on the washing.

John, I recall reading about cleaning windows with it on their website. I’m definitely going to give it a try in the springtime. For storage reasons I didn’t get the one on a cart so I’ll have to move it somewhere closer to the middle of my little house, but it’s worth it to me to not have to polish glass. I hate that job because no matter how clean I think I’ve made it, when I come inside the little voice in my head says, “missed a spot” :frowning:

Plus I think I’m developing a sensitivity to ammonia so being able to just use suds and rinse is a great bonus.

Not familiar with cquartz. I’ve been using Zaino for years, too lazy to polish it off to change it. Yeah, I’d refrain from aiming a pressure washer in the direction of an E-Type. You could easily blast water into “closed” sections where it can’t get out again. All the frame joints for example have a hole in them and no gasket between them. This is why frames rust from the inside out. Just using a hose with the weakest fan setting and 55 PSI house pressure, and washing the underside of the bonnet in short bursts, caused me to lose my headlights. I think I need to change the headlight bucket gaskets.

I gave up, trying to seal them, and went the other way.

I left off ALL seals around the sugar scoop, and the seals on the lenses always leak, anyway: I would use a hi-pressure wand—OMG!!!—to rinse out the scoops, then use the spot-free rinse to finish off.

Headlights were always spic and span!

I’m not entirely sure why it’s happening but it’s happened twice now, both times while driving so it’s pretty disconcerting. It’s not a problem with the headlight connector itself, or the switches, or the new harnesses, or new bonnet plug. I believe it’s the connector block under the left hand lamp. It’s new also, and appears shiny and without corrosion. I have apart now, and will attempt to retension the unions and reassemble with dielectric grease. If that doesn’t make it stop, I’m considering solder joints or a modern molex connector.

On the other end of odf, Tweety’s multiplug and underbonnet bullet connectors, were all dead stock, untouched, and had been doused for decades, never losing a light.

Then, in 2010, or so, one of the original three-spade connectors, melted! In the headlight bucket, protected from all water…go figger.