What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Ya…Im lusting after the TR4!!!

Here’s another dash photo with a radio installed. I have no interest in a radio, and happened to have that funky ashtray…so in it went. (This evaporator has the chromed vents). If you are really interested in an AC, suggest you ask RetroAir to send you their installation instructions. Then before you purchase, let me know and I’ll fill in the voids between the lines.

2 Likes

Cool beans thx! Yeah those shiny vents are a little bit “Hey look at me I’m a vent” aren’t they?

Did they install some sort of extra black trim piece between the console and the dash here which you haven’t fitted yet? I’m imagining that having this thing installed adds a whole new dimension of difficulty opening the fuse panel? As it is now I have to halfway remove the center console to open mine.

Yes, I still have to upholster a piece of wood to fit in that void. (The dash is covered with convertible top vinyl, so I’ll use that).

I made the legend strip removable. The resultant gap helps a lot with opening that panel , but the switches eventually contact the evaporator at about 2/3 open. If I needed to have full access, I’d yank the ashtray console (easy peasy) and remove two bolts to lower the evaporator a bit. But that depends on making a few changes to the RetroAir mounting brackets. That’s one of several (numerous) changes I made to the kit.

2 Likes

It’s amusing you folk put your Es away when it gets hot and we folk put them away when it gets cold. But it’s not the temperature in our case but the salt that’s poured by the ton onto the roads. A couple of winters back it barely snowed at all and had I not put the E into stasis to make room in my shop to continue working on the 120 I would have for the very first time driven my E during the months of December-February.

Looking at the picture I’ve got to say you have a really nice collection there.

Finally removed both exhaust manifolds. Only broke one bolt, had to cut one down pipe near the muffler. Too bad I really wanted to save the rusty piece of crap I don’t know why. And I am now investigating the paint on the struts trying to determine what the history of this car was. This looks like hi-temp silver solder or high temp brazing. That surely isn’t original? Perhaps it was in accident although there is no evidence of such?

Is there a Jaguar equivalent of B.O.A.T.? The acronym for “break out another thousand”? That seems to be the denomination of choice.

1 Like

Yep…original!

Those Reynolds 531 frames were oven-brazed: note: they cannot be fixed by normal welding or brazing.

1 Like

Oh, it’s JUUUST beginning!!!

Interesting pedal orientation. Have any issues finding a “dead” spot for your left foot to rest. Any particular method you used to slant the pedals or did you just tighten them down at that angle. Nice job on the AC. Ditto the interior.

I just wanted to keep my clodhoppers separated during the shakedown runs. I particularly wanted a clear shot at the brake pedal as I suspected the vacuum boost was inop. It was…now fixed (incorrect linkage adjustment was not activating the bellows). I’ll weld up new pedal pads later. Thanks

I can find no clear description of how to separate the secondary intake from the intake manifold? I’ve removed the obvious 4 nuts on the underside. Now what?

Steve,

There are 8 steel studs passing through a pretty thick chunk of aluminium, so corrosion is going to be an issue. Some penetrating oil of your favorite kind is probably a start. I can’t recall how difficult it was for me to separate the two manifolds…

Hopefully this photo of the two separated parts will give you some ideas where you might want to apply some pressure to split them. Another idea might be to try to remove the individual studs by double-nutting them. Good luck!

-David

For what purpose are you taking it apart?

^^ What he said ^^

I left mine in one piece when everything else was apart. I saw no reason to separate them and could imagine a can of worms opening up if I tried.

Exactly why I didn’t mess with mine.

Got her fired up last night , no bonnet, no fuel tank just a boat portable tank. Nice to hear her start so easily and idle reasonably. Cleaned the engine compartment of bondo dust. Warm fuzzies.

1 Like

Good show. Big milestone. Pressures OK? Leaks?

1 Like

Mounted the monocoque on to a rotisserie. Next step is to finish the cross bracing of the shell and then cut out openings in the sills in preparation for media blasting.

1 Like