What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

It covers the sliding yoke at one end of the shaft. Mine was right behind the transmission mount rather than at the rear. I believe that is the normal orientation. Basically there are two parts to the factory shaft, the main solid end and a sliding end that slips onto that. There are splines that join them.

Geoff, I was wondering the same and need some parts from Robey and the long part is separately ordered it is MRE 14 LH S1/2 and cost 28 pounds plus VAT, floor however cost 255 pounds, just behind the crossmenber.
Frank.

Hi Geo, I see a big oil filter on the side of the engine, the same as on a XJ engine, is that right? Because I am searching for a small filter on my 3.8L engine, but I have several other filters who looks the same as the picture. Is there a small filter a touched to it?
Frank.

Steve,
If its anything like an S3 propshaft, it should look like this:

Yes. My s1 looks just like that.

Frank. Are you saying that the long support channel that ties into the reaction plate does have to be ordered separately or just that it can be ordered separately? My requirement is for the whole floor so I was asking if the circled items all came attached when the floor panels were ordered.

Correct. I use a big filter on there (adapter from CoolCat)…

…but most or all manufactures seem to now offer a much shorter version still using the p/n of the longer filter.

What Amazon listed…

What they sent…

They finally got around to changing the listing to show the correct size.

I did find a close out of the long filters on Rock Auto and bought a lifetime supply. These get painted to a more appropriate color using engine paint:

Oil%20Filters

I work ahead so they can dry for a few years before being put into use.

Interesting, my filter adapter came with a PH16 and that’s what I’ve been using. Which model number are you using? I’ve noticed my oil pressure is a little on the high side. I wonder if a slightly larger filter might be beneficial.

That’s PH2931. But as I said, that and some equivalents are now short filters.

Also, mine is the CoolCat adapter, not the same as the ones supplied by most vendors.

BTW - There is what I think is a typo on that chart, should say Fram PH2931.

I’ve always used the PH8-A (or equivalent on other brands). It is a nice big filter.

LLoyd

In order to keep our big corporations prosperous, make the one percenters richer, and give the working class the artificial impression of prosperity, we require a small, controlled war in at least one country at all times.
LLoyd 2006

Interesting, which adapter are you using? I guess mine is “brand Y” from Geo’s table above. It’s from Rob Beere I believe.

I find myself wondering why the relief valve pressures in that table are different. I don’t recall changing mine to anything special included in the kit. The main housing and valve are stock and this part just bolted onto it to adapt the spin on filter. Did the Coolcat part come with new relief valve parts Geo?

No other parts with the kit - is he possibly referring to the relief that is built into the filter (not the bypass in the filter head)?

Ah I guess that must be the case yeah.

Today I convinced “Wiggles” to swing by my house on his way thru Texas to give me his two-cents worth on my '69 project. I thought I had a “project” before he arrived!!! Let’s just say I have sooooo many more new opportunities to “learn”
Thanks for taking time out of your day Paul.
-Steve, “sometime-deep-into-the-future-Jag-driver”

My favorite sign off from another gentleman on this forum : "Its not a car, its a career ! ".

Marco

1 Like

Well today I had my car mapped on the rolling road!

Very exciting.

1 Like

So what have you added to your to do list? Hopefully not a full teardown!

UK Registration complete after just 7 days from application (thank you DVLA). New plates fitted, so now completely road legal :grinning:
Shame I have just taken the radiator out for a new matrix after finding a leak…so the wait goes on for that drive in the countryside

Replaced the two piece lower radiator hose with a one piece Gates per the part number on the CoolCat Express web site.

The engine shop finished the exhaust ports and will be working on the Intake ports next.
There will be a lot of work on the intakes, put in some huge valves +4mm.