What did you do to your E-Type today? (Part 1)

Took my car to get a clonking noise fixed before selling it.
Went through Annapolis first and my wife took this picture.

6 Likes

WOW - this is a very beautiful picture - of you, your car, and of the surroundings - looks like a professional brochure type picture with such clarity of detail - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 8/24/2020 2230hrs. EDT USA.

1 Like

Selling it? Look at that picture. Might change your mind.

Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed.
Hannah Arendt

1 Like

I let my nephew take me for a drive on the Natchez Trace

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful everything!

1 Like

This is not an advertisement, but all she used was an iPhone 11 Pro, some of the built in enhancement tools and her eye for composition

Well kudos to your wife for getting such a great picture - didn’t know iPhone could do such a good job either - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 8/25/2020 0933hrs. EDT USA.

i11s are incredibly capable cameras!

Learning something new every day - just not keeping up fast enough with advancing technologies - thanks for the info link - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 8/25/2020 0959hrs. EDT USA.

Even with the best available, I lack the knowledge to really compose a great photo. :worried:. Wife outdoes me by miles

Single most important thing to remember:

Rule of Thirds.

Follow that, learn the whys, and your photos will become better.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I’ll try to keep this in mind. Maybe an old dog…

1 Like

Just got one last week, and yes amazing photos!

The ultrawide is terrible, but so much fun and useful. The two main cameras are brilliant in almost any scenario and many times as good as the iPhone X was, and even that one made good pictures. There is much to come in the next years.

1 Like

So when a friend of a friend see’s a video of an etype and knows it’s yours and shares the story. Not many cars have that accolade. And that’s why I never take my e to a gentleman’s club😂

2 Likes

Not much on the e type today but tuned the spit with the same FI kit i used in the E

Not today, but over the weekend. Replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders on my 4.2, went with the stainless 3.8 version slave. Also replaced the flex hose with SS braided. My issue is what I consider a stiff clutch, certainly compared to my other vintage cars. My hope was that maybe the flex hose was failing and restricting flow. As long as I was going that far, for the relative small cost, I decided to replace the master and slave and eliminate all the variables in that part of the system. The clutch pedal on its own travels very freely and easily with all the components out. End result, the pedal is still stiff, but I have better action. The pedal does not need to travel as far, once hitting good resistance, to release the clutch, and my shifting is more precise and consistently smooth. The pedal is good and firm up high after three bleedings and consistent in its operation. The Jaguar manual bleeding is the one that worked, my wife in the car and me below. I painted the master from XKs to look original. There is a bit of yoga involved and very many tools of sorts to make the connections for the flex hose. Cutting off the old flex hose at the connections was a godsend to put a socket on to hold while wrenching the other side. The lower stud/nut for the master is pretty much blind and work is by feel, but accessible. The cylinders had their fair share of corrosion inside and were leaky, gunky messes. The flex hose actually seemed OK. Needed to fashion a longer rod for my shorter slave since mine came from the hydrostatic version (4" 5/16" fine thread bolt). The job was worth it.

5 Likes

When i rebuilt my clutch master there was no circlip or seal holding the piston in, only the built up crud was keeping the piston from coming back too far and leaking. It didn’t leak until i put new carpet and insulation in.

Drove it again. To see Dad and do a little weeding of one of his flower beds, taking our own tools.

On the way back we detoured to go and see a tree. An old oak tree.

We parked in the shade of this old oak which is estimated to be over 500 years old, but this wasn’t the one we’d come to see.

Yup, that sign does say this tree could be up to a thousand years old. No one will ever know as the heart of the oak has long since rotten away, as has the heart of the oak we parked near.

It was a nice drive, 100 miles, wrapped up by coming home to find the daily driver on three good tyres - a wood screw having deflated the fourth tyre. And this model doesn’t have a spare of any size.

Ho hum!

3 Likes

Today i pulled out the IRS to fix the hand brake. Replaced the ratchet wheel, made a clip that holds the ratchet wheel in place, since one was broken, and drilled out the tight rivet in the balance linkage. Pulling the IRS is a lot easier the third time. I hope not to do it again. Tomorrow I will finish putting every thing back together and see if it works.

2 Likes